Avery: I said some of the worst things imaginable during hockey career

Feb 8, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT

Sean Avery Getty Images

Sean Avery was known for his ability to get under his opponent’s skin and now that his hockey career is over, he’s not about to hide from his past.

“Over the 12 years that I played I said some of the worst things that you could ever possibly imagine. And every time I did it because I thought that it was going to give me or my team an advantage,” Avery told TSN’s Michael Landsberg.

“You can pull hundreds of examples of things that I said over my career, but the bottom line is I was extremely good at it.”

Avery played in 580 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, and Dallas Stars. He spent 1,533 minutes in the sin bin, but wasn’t just an enforcer. Over the course of his career, he displayed some offensive skills as well.

“I remember Steve Yzerman telling me to just play because you’re a good player,” Avery said. All the same, he had no interest in changing his game.

“I was what I was,” he said, later adding, “Nobody was going to tell me differently.”

Avery’s career ended with a brief AHL stint and he retired at 32, but he feels the timing was right.

“Why would I fight this anymore?” Avery asked. “First of all, it’s not healthy. Second, it’s not fun – no matter how much money you’re getting paid.”

That doesn’t mean his time in the NHL is something that he regrets. He was happy over the course of his career, but he’s also enjoying what he does now. Among other things, Avery is serving on the board of Athlete Ally, which promotes understanding and openness regarding people’s sexual orientations.

Before he official hung up his skates he was also working with the Lipman agency.

“It’s safe to say that nobody has as much fun as me,” Avery said.

Latest Posts
  1. MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild

Apr 24, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT

NEW YORK, NY - FEBRUARY 04: Nathan MacKinnon #29 of the Colorado Avalanche in action against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden on February 4, 2014 in New York City. The Rangers defeated the Avalanche 5-1. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images) Getty Images

“They played hard, but for us it was more what we weren’t doing than what they were doing.”

2. Bertuzzi to make series debut for Wings in Game 4

Apr 24, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT

Detroit Red Wings v Toronto Maple Leafs Getty Images

Detroit hosts Boston at the Joe tonight.

3. Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists

Apr 24, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT

ToewsBergy Getty Images

Toews won it last year, Bergeron the year before that.

4. Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision)

Apr 24, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Henrik Zetterberg Getty Images

Would be his series debut, and first game since the Sochi Olympics.

5. Bickell elevating his game in the playoffs

Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

“I think he likes the big stage.”

6. PHT Morning Skate: Sharks go for the sweep

Apr 24, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT

San Jose Sharks v Los Angeles Kings - Game Three Getty Images

Elsewhere, Detroit will play Boston and Colorado will face the Wild.

7. Hitchcock knows how Quenneville felt as Blues take their own tough losses

Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT

St Louis Blues v Nashville Predators Getty Images

The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.

8. Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2

Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT

Ryan Miller, Andrew Shaw, Alex Pietrangelo AP

Another memorable moment for the American star.

9. Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2

Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT

Anaheim Ducks v Dallas Stars - Game Four Getty Images

Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.

10. Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series

Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT

Lee Stempniak, David Savard Lee Stempniak, David Savard

Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.

11. NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games

Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT

Cooke

He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.

Chances Blue Jackets bounce back?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches