Avery: I said some of the worst things imaginable during hockey career

Feb 8, 2013, 9:56 AM EST

Sean Avery Getty Images

Sean Avery was known for his ability to get under his opponent’s skin and now that his hockey career is over, he’s not about to hide from his past.

“Over the 12 years that I played I said some of the worst things that you could ever possibly imagine. And every time I did it because I thought that it was going to give me or my team an advantage,” Avery told TSN’s Michael Landsberg.

“You can pull hundreds of examples of things that I said over my career, but the bottom line is I was extremely good at it.”

Avery played in 580 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, and Dallas Stars. He spent 1,533 minutes in the sin bin, but wasn’t just an enforcer. Over the course of his career, he displayed some offensive skills as well.

“I remember Steve Yzerman telling me to just play because you’re a good player,” Avery said. All the same, he had no interest in changing his game.

“I was what I was,” he said, later adding, “Nobody was going to tell me differently.”

Avery’s career ended with a brief AHL stint and he retired at 32, but he feels the timing was right.

“Why would I fight this anymore?” Avery asked. “First of all, it’s not healthy. Second, it’s not fun – no matter how much money you’re getting paid.”

That doesn’t mean his time in the NHL is something that he regrets. He was happy over the course of his career, but he’s also enjoying what he does now. Among other things, Avery is serving on the board of Athlete Ally, which promotes understanding and openness regarding people’s sexual orientations.

Before he official hung up his skates he was also working with the Lipman agency.

“It’s safe to say that nobody has as much fun as me,” Avery said.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Jarome Iginla records his 1,200th NHL point

Jan 30, 2015, 11:35 PM EST

Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche Ottawa Senators v Colorado Avalanche

He’s now tied with Dino Ciccarelli on the all-time points list.

2. Video: Despres’ OT winner lifts the Pens over the Devils

Jan 30, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Simon Despres Getty Images

Kris Letang has assisted on Pittsburgh’s last seven goals.

3. Blackhawks plan on keeping Darling in the mix

Jan 30, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

Chicago Blackhawks v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

He’s a restricted free agent after this season.

4. Leafs won’t turn to prospect William Nylander for help

Jan 30, 2015, 8:45 PM EST

William Nylander William Nylander

The 18-year-old is playing in his 3rd career AHL game tonight.

5. Canes’ Khudobin yanked after allowing 2 goals on 3 shots

Jan 30, 2015, 8:00 PM EST

Carolina Hurricanes goalie Anton Khudobin (31) takes a break during the first period of an NHL hockey game against the Phoenix Coyotes, Sunday, Oct. 13, 2013, in Raleigh, N.C. (AP Photo/Karl B DeBlaker) AP

Was 6-0-0 in his previous seven appearances entering tonight.

6. New state of hockey? Talks underway for ASU games at Coyotes’ arena

Jan 30, 2015, 5:16 PM EST

PNI coyotes main 0102 Getty Images

“We would be thrilled to have them play at our venue.”

7. Norfolk, Glens Falls, and Manchester get ECHL teams

Jan 30, 2015, 3:37 PM EST

Norfolk Admirals AP

Oklahoma City and Worcester do not.

8. Goalie nods: Miller faces Sabres for first time

Jan 30, 2015, 2:17 PM EST

Ryan Miller Getty Images

News and notes from around the crease…

9. Wings place Lashoff on waivers (Updated)

Jan 30, 2015, 1:01 PM EST

Brian Lashoff AP

Xavier Ouellet sticking around?

10. Ehrhoff undergoes concussion testing after Ovechkin collision

Jan 30, 2015, 12:52 PM EST

PA: Tampa Bay Lightning v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Pittsburgh d-man won’t play tonight against New Jersey.

11. More good news for Columbus: Murray off IR following 36-game absence

Jan 30, 2015, 11:37 AM EST

Ryan Murray Ryan Murray

Just one day after Artem Anisimov drew back into the lineup.

12. With Berglund and Lehtera out, Blues recall AHL sniper Rattie

Jan 30, 2015, 11:21 AM EST

Detroit Red Wings v St. Louis Blues Getty Images

St. Louis’ forward depth about to be tested.

Kings come back in third to top Blackhawks
Top 10 NHL Player Searches