Avery: I said some of the worst things imaginable during hockey career

Feb 8, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT

Sean Avery Getty Images

Sean Avery was known for his ability to get under his opponent’s skin and now that his hockey career is over, he’s not about to hide from his past.

“Over the 12 years that I played I said some of the worst things that you could ever possibly imagine. And every time I did it because I thought that it was going to give me or my team an advantage,” Avery told TSN’s Michael Landsberg.

“You can pull hundreds of examples of things that I said over my career, but the bottom line is I was extremely good at it.”

Avery played in 580 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, and Dallas Stars. He spent 1,533 minutes in the sin bin, but wasn’t just an enforcer. Over the course of his career, he displayed some offensive skills as well.

“I remember Steve Yzerman telling me to just play because you’re a good player,” Avery said. All the same, he had no interest in changing his game.

“I was what I was,” he said, later adding, “Nobody was going to tell me differently.”

Avery’s career ended with a brief AHL stint and he retired at 32, but he feels the timing was right.

“Why would I fight this anymore?” Avery asked. “First of all, it’s not healthy. Second, it’s not fun – no matter how much money you’re getting paid.”

That doesn’t mean his time in the NHL is something that he regrets. He was happy over the course of his career, but he’s also enjoying what he does now. Among other things, Avery is serving on the board of Athlete Ally, which promotes understanding and openness regarding people’s sexual orientations.

Before he official hung up his skates he was also working with the Lipman agency.

“It’s safe to say that nobody has as much fun as me,” Avery said.

Latest Posts
  1. Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha

Aug 27, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT

AnthonyMantha

Former Quebec league sniper is gunning for a gig in Detroit.

2. Report: Rangers show interest in Malone

Aug 27, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT

Ryan Malone Getty Images

Former Tampa Bay forward was bought out of his contract earlier this summer, following legal troubles.

3. Red Wings’ playoff streak borders on historic, but does it matter?

Aug 27, 2014, 10:04 AM EDT

Gustav Nyquist AP

The Red Wings are rebuilding on the fly, but are they assembling a future Cup contender?

4. Despite ‘nightmare’ season, Clarkson excited for future

Aug 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

David Clarkson Getty Images

He’ll enter the second season of his seven-year, $36.75 million contract.

5. It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT

Aug 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Henrik Zetterberg Getty Images

They have made it to the playoffs for 23 straight seasons.

6. NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam

Aug 26, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT

NHL Awards - Show Getty Images

A recent report has added new fuel to the speculation on that subject.

7. Johnston will enter camp looking for wingers for Malkin

Aug 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Evgeni Malkin Getty Images

Dupuis and Hornqvist are two of the main options.

8. Poll: Who should be Columbus’ next captain?

Aug 26, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game One Getty Images

Will they go another season without one?

9. No Vezina repeat, but Bobrovsky remains Jackets’ MVP

Aug 26, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets' goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, of Russia, is silhouetted as he stands in front of his net before an NHL hockey game against the Vancouver Canucks in Vancouver, British Columbia, Friday, Nov. 22, 2013. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Darryl Dyck) AP

He’s going into the final season of his bridge contract.

10. Bishop not 100 percent, aims to be ‘close’ before opener

Aug 26, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT

Ben Bishop AP

He’s looking to build off of his breakout campaign.

11. Oilers remain hopeful Schultz will sign before camp

Aug 26, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT

Justin Schultz Getty Images

The restricted free agent is likely to get a one or two-year deal.

12. Under Pressure: Nathan Horton

Aug 26, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Injuries prevented him from doing much in the first season of his seven-year, $37.1 million deal.

13. Looking to make the leap: Alexander Wennberg

Aug 26, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

Sweden v United States - 2013 USA Hockey Junior Evaluation Camp Getty Images

He could follow in Boone Jenner’s footsteps.

14. Berube: Lecavalier needs to ‘get over’ trade rumors

Aug 26, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT

LecavalierPhilly Getty Images

“I have to do a little bit better job managing him and he’s got to buy into the team.”

15. Report: Moore, Bertuzzi still negotiating confidentiality pact

Aug 26, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT

Bertuzzi Moore

But per Bertuzzi’s lawyer, the settlement has been agreed upon.

16. Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout?

Aug 26, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT

Ryan Johansen Getty Images

Player agent has a bit of history with his clients missing camp.

17. After first playoff win, the bar’s been raised in Columbus

Aug 26, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT

Ryan Johansen, James Wisniewski AP

Can they live up to the heightened expectations?

18. Penguins aren’t in rush to re-sign Fleury

Aug 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Marc-Andre Fleury AP

Rutherford thinks highly of the goaltender though.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches