Avery: I said some of the worst things imaginable during hockey career

Feb 8, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT

Sean Avery Getty Images

Sean Avery was known for his ability to get under his opponent’s skin and now that his hockey career is over, he’s not about to hide from his past.

“Over the 12 years that I played I said some of the worst things that you could ever possibly imagine. And every time I did it because I thought that it was going to give me or my team an advantage,” Avery told TSN’s Michael Landsberg.

“You can pull hundreds of examples of things that I said over my career, but the bottom line is I was extremely good at it.”

Avery played in 580 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, and Dallas Stars. He spent 1,533 minutes in the sin bin, but wasn’t just an enforcer. Over the course of his career, he displayed some offensive skills as well.

“I remember Steve Yzerman telling me to just play because you’re a good player,” Avery said. All the same, he had no interest in changing his game.

“I was what I was,” he said, later adding, “Nobody was going to tell me differently.”

Avery’s career ended with a brief AHL stint and he retired at 32, but he feels the timing was right.

“Why would I fight this anymore?” Avery asked. “First of all, it’s not healthy. Second, it’s not fun – no matter how much money you’re getting paid.”

That doesn’t mean his time in the NHL is something that he regrets. He was happy over the course of his career, but he’s also enjoying what he does now. Among other things, Avery is serving on the board of Athlete Ally, which promotes understanding and openness regarding people’s sexual orientations.

Before he official hung up his skates he was also working with the Lipman agency.

“It’s safe to say that nobody has as much fun as me,” Avery said.

Latest Posts
  1. Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals

Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT

Evander Kane AP

The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.

2. Tom Wilson (broken leg) not sure when he’ll return

Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT

Tom Wilson Getty Images

The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.

3. ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk

Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT

TORONTO, ON - DECEMBER 3: Joe Thornton #19 of the San Jose Sharks skates against the Toronto Maple Leafs during an NHL game at the Air Canada Centre on December 3, 2013 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The Sharks defeated the Leafs 4-2. (Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images) Getty Images

That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.

4. Video: Grieving Ryan Suter talks about his late father

Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT

uwbadgersbobsuter

Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.

5. Desjardins: Canucks comfortable carrying three goalies

Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT

Jacob Markstrom Getty Images

That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.

6. Clowe ‘advised’ to fight less, not sure he will

Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT

CloweDevils Getty Images

He suffered three concussions in under a year.

7. Orpik heard good things ‘human-being wise’ about Trotz

Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Brooks Orpik Getty Images

It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.

8. Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too

Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT

Joe Sakic Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations of the Colorado Avalanche addresses the media as Patrick Roy is introduced as the new Head Coach/Vice President of Hockey Operations of the Colorado Avalanche during a press conference at the Pepsi Center on May 28, 2013 in Denver, Colorado.
(May 27, 2013 - Source: Doug Pensinger/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.

9. Kyle Palmieri out at least two weeks with high ankle sprain

Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT

kylepalmierigetty Getty Images

He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.

10. Doughty (upper body) listed as day-to-day

Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Drew Doughty Getty Images

Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.

11. Sakic says Avs ownership gave ‘green light’ to ‘make this team win’

Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT

Joe Sakic AP

“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”

12. Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury

Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Claude Giroux Getty Images

Flyers captain currently being evaluated.

13. Nuge must ‘step up’ for Oilers, who are thin down the middle

Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Getty Images

“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.

14. Blues invite Ryan Whitney to camp

Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT

whitneyryangetty Getty Images

Just like they did last year.

15. NHL GMs sympathize with Jackets on Johansen situation

Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT

Davidson

But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.

16. In final contract year, Hartley unfazed by lack of new deal

Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Bob Hartley AP

What does his future hold in Calgary?

17. Coyotes GM: We can’t ‘match up, No. 1 line to No. 1 line, with many teams in the West’

Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT

Don Maloney AP

“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”

18. Ducks GM hoping ‘the kids’ can get it done in goal

Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT

John Gibson Getty Images

“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches