Avery: I said some of the worst things imaginable during hockey career

Feb 8, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT

Sean Avery Getty Images

Sean Avery was known for his ability to get under his opponent’s skin and now that his hockey career is over, he’s not about to hide from his past.

“Over the 12 years that I played I said some of the worst things that you could ever possibly imagine. And every time I did it because I thought that it was going to give me or my team an advantage,” Avery told TSN’s Michael Landsberg.

“You can pull hundreds of examples of things that I said over my career, but the bottom line is I was extremely good at it.”

Avery played in 580 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, and Dallas Stars. He spent 1,533 minutes in the sin bin, but wasn’t just an enforcer. Over the course of his career, he displayed some offensive skills as well.

“I remember Steve Yzerman telling me to just play because you’re a good player,” Avery said. All the same, he had no interest in changing his game.

“I was what I was,” he said, later adding, “Nobody was going to tell me differently.”

Avery’s career ended with a brief AHL stint and he retired at 32, but he feels the timing was right.

“Why would I fight this anymore?” Avery asked. “First of all, it’s not healthy. Second, it’s not fun – no matter how much money you’re getting paid.”

That doesn’t mean his time in the NHL is something that he regrets. He was happy over the course of his career, but he’s also enjoying what he does now. Among other things, Avery is serving on the board of Athlete Ally, which promotes understanding and openness regarding people’s sexual orientations.

Before he official hung up his skates he was also working with the Lipman agency.

“It’s safe to say that nobody has as much fun as me,” Avery said.

Latest Posts
  1. Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink

Apr 25, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT

Devan Dubnyk AP

St. Louis couldn’t capitalize on an early lead.

2. WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action

Apr 24, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

Marc-Andre Fleury AP

Pittsburgh and Ottawa need to win to survive.

3. Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’

Apr 24, 2015, 11:24 PM EDT

Evgeni Malkin Getty Images

He didn’t get a point in the first round.

4. Video: Prust sparks melee by spearing goalie Anderson

Apr 24, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT

Prust, Anderson

Senators coach Dave Cameron called it “cheap” and a sign of frustration.

5. It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime

Apr 24, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpta0ntizmjbjndy3yti3nwe0nwfhnwy3odfjn2u2mwrm AP

Evgeni Malkin finished the series without a point.

6. Video: Tarasenko continues unreal run with sixth goal on nine shots

Apr 24, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT

Vladimir Tarasenko

Alexander Steen played a big role in that marker.

7. Blues without Jori Lehtera for Game 5 vs. Wild

Apr 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT

Jori Lehtera Getty Images

The odds of him playing were initially “50-50.”

8. Video: Spaling gets unusual goal as puck bounces off arm

Apr 24, 2015, 8:59 PM EDT

Spaling goal

That tied Game 5 between Pittsburgh and the Rangers at 1-1.

9. Video: Ryan snaps 16-game goal scoring slump

Apr 24, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT

Ryan goal

is that the start of a breakout for him?

10. Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists

Apr 24, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT

Carey Price Getty Images

The Canadiens goaltender looks like the heavy favorite.

11. Bettman doesn’t want to give Isles fans ‘hope’ of return to Nassau County

Apr 24, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT

Capitals Getty Images

“Lots of possibilities have been thrown out about an arena for the last decade and none of them have materialized.”

12. Chicago to start Darling in Game 6

Apr 24, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v Nashville Predators - Game Five Chicago Blackhawks v Nashville Predators - Game Five

After allowing four goals in a Game 5 loss to Nashville.

13. Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops

Apr 24, 2015, 3:17 PM EDT

Chiarelli

“In this business, you can’t be afraid to make trades.”

14. Chevy re-confirms Pavelec as Winnipeg’s No. 1

Apr 24, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT

Ondrej Pavelec Ondrej Pavelec

Much like he did at the end of last year.

15. Richardson favored to be next Buffalo coach, says oddsmaker

Apr 24, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT

Luke Richardson 3

Currently coaching Ottawa’s AHL affiliate in Binghamton.

Plenty of pressure on Blues