Avery: I said some of the worst things imaginable during hockey career

Feb 8, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT

Sean Avery Getty Images

Sean Avery was known for his ability to get under his opponent’s skin and now that his hockey career is over, he’s not about to hide from his past.

“Over the 12 years that I played I said some of the worst things that you could ever possibly imagine. And every time I did it because I thought that it was going to give me or my team an advantage,” Avery told TSN’s Michael Landsberg.

“You can pull hundreds of examples of things that I said over my career, but the bottom line is I was extremely good at it.”

Avery played in 580 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, and Dallas Stars. He spent 1,533 minutes in the sin bin, but wasn’t just an enforcer. Over the course of his career, he displayed some offensive skills as well.

“I remember Steve Yzerman telling me to just play because you’re a good player,” Avery said. All the same, he had no interest in changing his game.

“I was what I was,” he said, later adding, “Nobody was going to tell me differently.”

Avery’s career ended with a brief AHL stint and he retired at 32, but he feels the timing was right.

“Why would I fight this anymore?” Avery asked. “First of all, it’s not healthy. Second, it’s not fun – no matter how much money you’re getting paid.”

That doesn’t mean his time in the NHL is something that he regrets. He was happy over the course of his career, but he’s also enjoying what he does now. Among other things, Avery is serving on the board of Athlete Ally, which promotes understanding and openness regarding people’s sexual orientations.

Before he official hung up his skates he was also working with the Lipman agency.

“It’s safe to say that nobody has as much fun as me,” Avery said.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Getzlaf bloodied after taking puck to face

Apr 17, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT

Getzlaf2

A Tyler Seguin bullet, no less.

2. Bylsma praises ‘formidable’ Bennett-Sutter-Stempniak line

Apr 17, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT

Bylsma Getty Images

The trio was big in Wednesday’s Game 1 victory over the Jackets.

3. Lightning provide few details about Palat’s injury

Apr 16, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

It’s bad enough to inspire Jon Cooper’s pity, though.

4. Blue Jackets coach wants more than just moral victories

Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v Carolina Hurricanes Getty Images

“We aren’t here just to go to school. We’re here to win.”

5. Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win

Apr 16, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v Tampa Bay Lightning - Game One Getty Images

After all that star power in regulation …

6. Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1

Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game One Getty Images

Pittsburgh scores three unanswered goals to win.

7. WATCH LIVE: Dallas Stars at Anaheim Ducks (Game 1)

Apr 16, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT

StarsDucks AP

The West’s No. 1 seed takes on the final wild card qualifier.

8. Video: Tyutin avoids penalty during Sutter’s breakaway

Apr 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT

penaltyornot

Did the Penguins deserve a power play or penalty shot?

9. Video: Dubinsky, Johnson combine to give Columbus an early lead

Apr 16, 2014, 8:11 PM EDT

Jack Johnson, Brandon Dubinsky, Fedor Tyutin AP

Updated with bonus goals for your enjoyment.

10. Malkin will indeed return for Game 1

Apr 16, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT

Evgeni Malkin AP

In case there was any doubt.

11. WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1)

Apr 16, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

Unproven goalie vs. a gold-medal goalie in Game 1.

12. WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1)

Apr 16, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Columbus Blue Jackets Getty Images

A battle between a scrappy underdog and a perplexing favorite.

13. Stars’ Dillon (foot) out for Game 1

Apr 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT

Dallas Stars v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

A little less grit against the Anaheim Ducks.

14. Ducks feel ‘very comfortable’ with rookie Andersen in net, says Boudreau

Apr 16, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT

Anze Kopitar, Frederik Andersen AP

“He gives us the best chance to win, so he’ll be the one starting.”

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches