Avery: I said some of the worst things imaginable during hockey career

Feb 8, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT

Sean Avery Getty Images

Sean Avery was known for his ability to get under his opponent’s skin and now that his hockey career is over, he’s not about to hide from his past.

“Over the 12 years that I played I said some of the worst things that you could ever possibly imagine. And every time I did it because I thought that it was going to give me or my team an advantage,” Avery told TSN’s Michael Landsberg.

“You can pull hundreds of examples of things that I said over my career, but the bottom line is I was extremely good at it.”

Avery played in 580 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, and Dallas Stars. He spent 1,533 minutes in the sin bin, but wasn’t just an enforcer. Over the course of his career, he displayed some offensive skills as well.

“I remember Steve Yzerman telling me to just play because you’re a good player,” Avery said. All the same, he had no interest in changing his game.

“I was what I was,” he said, later adding, “Nobody was going to tell me differently.”

Avery’s career ended with a brief AHL stint and he retired at 32, but he feels the timing was right.

“Why would I fight this anymore?” Avery asked. “First of all, it’s not healthy. Second, it’s not fun – no matter how much money you’re getting paid.”

That doesn’t mean his time in the NHL is something that he regrets. He was happy over the course of his career, but he’s also enjoying what he does now. Among other things, Avery is serving on the board of Athlete Ally, which promotes understanding and openness regarding people’s sexual orientations.

Before he official hung up his skates he was also working with the Lipman agency.

“It’s safe to say that nobody has as much fun as me,” Avery said.

Latest Posts
  1. Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’

Jul 1, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT

Official Announcement Of Mike Babcock As Toronto Maple Leafs Head Coach Getty Images

“We are here to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. There are no shortcuts to go around doing that.”

2. B’s re-sign Spooner: two years, $1.9 million

Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.

3. Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million

Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT

Mike Green Getty Images

Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.

4. ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’

Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT

Phil Kessel Getty Images

Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.

5. After Preds buyout, Stalberg signs one-year, $1.1M deal with Rangers

Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT

Viktor Stalberg #25 of the Nashville Predators warms up prior to a game against the Winnipeg Jets at Bridgestone Arena on October 24, 2013 in Nashville, Tennessee.
(October 23, 2013 - Source: Frederick Breedon/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.

6. Roundup: Jackman to Preds, Moore to Devils, Parenteau to Leafs

Jul 1, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT

Barret Jackman

Some smaller signings to pass your way…

7. Saad ‘a bit shocked’ by trade, but ‘looking forward’ to joining Jackets

Jul 1, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT

Brandon Saad AP

Still needs to sign a new deal, but Columbus will match any offer sheet.

8. PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker

Jul 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

Mike Green Getty Images

All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.

9. KHLers Burmistrov (Jets), Tikhonov (‘Hawks) make NHL returns

Jul 1, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT

Alex Burmistrov AP

Both spent the last few seasons playing in Russia.

10. Lightning nab Condra for three years

Jul 1, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT

Marc Methot Chris Terry AP

One of the Senators’ main penalty-killers last season.

11. Canucks pick up Bartkowski

Jul 1, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT

Buffalo Sabres v Boston Bruins Getty Images

27-year-old never really panned out in Boston.

12. Coyotes stay busy, ink Downie, Michalek and Lindback

Jul 1, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT

Steve Downie Getty Images

Having already signed former Canuck Brad Richardson.

13. Avs sign ‘versatile, dependable’ Comeau to three-year, $7.2M deal

Jul 1, 2015, 1:11 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Nice raise after playing for $700,000 in Pittsburgh last season.

14. Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins

Jul 1, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT

150701-Phil-Kessel Getty Images

End of an era in Toronto. A premier goal-scoring winger heads to Pittsburgh.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches