Avery: I said some of the worst things imaginable during hockey career

Feb 8, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT

Sean Avery Getty Images

Sean Avery was known for his ability to get under his opponent’s skin and now that his hockey career is over, he’s not about to hide from his past.

“Over the 12 years that I played I said some of the worst things that you could ever possibly imagine. And every time I did it because I thought that it was going to give me or my team an advantage,” Avery told TSN’s Michael Landsberg.

“You can pull hundreds of examples of things that I said over my career, but the bottom line is I was extremely good at it.”

Avery played in 580 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, and Dallas Stars. He spent 1,533 minutes in the sin bin, but wasn’t just an enforcer. Over the course of his career, he displayed some offensive skills as well.

“I remember Steve Yzerman telling me to just play because you’re a good player,” Avery said. All the same, he had no interest in changing his game.

“I was what I was,” he said, later adding, “Nobody was going to tell me differently.”

Avery’s career ended with a brief AHL stint and he retired at 32, but he feels the timing was right.

“Why would I fight this anymore?” Avery asked. “First of all, it’s not healthy. Second, it’s not fun – no matter how much money you’re getting paid.”

That doesn’t mean his time in the NHL is something that he regrets. He was happy over the course of his career, but he’s also enjoying what he does now. Among other things, Avery is serving on the board of Athlete Ally, which promotes understanding and openness regarding people’s sexual orientations.

Before he official hung up his skates he was also working with the Lipman agency.

“It’s safe to say that nobody has as much fun as me,” Avery said.

Latest Posts
  1. Dmitry Orlov (wrist) ready after missing 2014-15

Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT

Dmitry Orlov Getty Images

He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.

2. Coyotes sign ’15 first rounder Nick Merkley

Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT

Nick Merkley Getty Images

He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.

3. Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

Slava Voynov AP

They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.

4. Calgary presents Ryan Wilson with PTO

Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT

Ryan Wilson Getty Images

Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?

5. Interviewer: Raanta’s rooting against Hawks quote is real, but needs context

Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT

Antti Raanta Getty Images

“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”

6. Caps’ Backstrom won’t rush return from hip surgery

Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT

Nicklas Backstrom Getty Images

His availability for the season opener is in doubt.

7. Seidenberg says trade rumors were ‘a slap in the face’

Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.

8. Wild hire ex-Oilers goalie coach Chabot

Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT

Edmonton Oilers Headshots Getty Images

Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.

9. Flames ‘haven’t been able to find something’ with still-unsigned Ferland

Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT

ferland Getty Images

In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.

10. Ex-NHLer Peat pleads guilty to arson

Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT

Stephen Peat skates Getty Images

He could face up to five years in prison.

11. Report: Pens’ owners seeking $750 million for sale of team

Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Mario Lemieux Getty Images

It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.

12. Oilers, Flames AHL affiliates to play outdoor game

Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT

gshr_raley

Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.

13. Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause

Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Patrick Kane Patrick Kane

As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.

14. Wings’ Franzen: ‘I’m excited to try to get back and have a good year’

Sep 2, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT

Johan Franzen Johan Franzen

The Swede hopes to be cleared of his latest concussion in time for the season opener.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches