Avery: I said some of the worst things imaginable during hockey career

Feb 8, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT

Sean Avery Getty Images

Sean Avery was known for his ability to get under his opponent’s skin and now that his hockey career is over, he’s not about to hide from his past.

“Over the 12 years that I played I said some of the worst things that you could ever possibly imagine. And every time I did it because I thought that it was going to give me or my team an advantage,” Avery told TSN’s Michael Landsberg.

“You can pull hundreds of examples of things that I said over my career, but the bottom line is I was extremely good at it.”

Avery played in 580 NHL games with the Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, New York Rangers, and Dallas Stars. He spent 1,533 minutes in the sin bin, but wasn’t just an enforcer. Over the course of his career, he displayed some offensive skills as well.

“I remember Steve Yzerman telling me to just play because you’re a good player,” Avery said. All the same, he had no interest in changing his game.

“I was what I was,” he said, later adding, “Nobody was going to tell me differently.”

Avery’s career ended with a brief AHL stint and he retired at 32, but he feels the timing was right.

“Why would I fight this anymore?” Avery asked. “First of all, it’s not healthy. Second, it’s not fun – no matter how much money you’re getting paid.”

That doesn’t mean his time in the NHL is something that he regrets. He was happy over the course of his career, but he’s also enjoying what he does now. Among other things, Avery is serving on the board of Athlete Ally, which promotes understanding and openness regarding people’s sexual orientations.

Before he official hung up his skates he was also working with the Lipman agency.

“It’s safe to say that nobody has as much fun as me,” Avery said.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: New Jersey re-signs Timmins

Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Florida Panthers St. Louis Blues v Florida Panthers

Acquired last season in exchange for Krys Barch.

2. Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D

Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT

PK Subban Getty Images

“We haven’t approached it in that respect.”

3. NHL hit with another concussion lawsuit

Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

bettmangetty Getty Images

This time, it features just one plaintiff — former Bruin Jon Rohloff.

4. Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension

Jul 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT

New York Islanders v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Alternate captain notched a career-high in goals last year.

5. Contract talks stalled between Kuemper, Wild

Jul 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Darcy Kuemper AP

“Usually this isn’t the time to fight for the big contract.”

6. New Red Wings assistant ‘couldn’t be happier’ to get opportunity to work under Babcock

Jul 30, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT

Tri City Americans v Kelowna Rockets Getty Images

Jim Hiller is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Todd McLellan, Paul MacLean, and Bill Peters.

7. Not ready to hang ‘em up? Selanne considering return to Jokerit

Jul 30, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT

Teemu Selanne of Finland (8) takes a victory lap around the ice with his medal after he men's bronze medal ice hockey game at the 2014 Winter Olympics, Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014, in Sochi, Russia. Finland defeated the United States 5-0. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum) AP

Finnish club is moving to the KHL next season.

8. Habs add Lacroix and Ramage to coaching staff

Jul 30, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v Boston Bruins - Game One Getty Images

That’s Lacroix, when he was an assistant for Tampa Bay.

9. Red Wings hire two more coaches for Babcock’s staff

Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT

Mike Babcock Getty Images

Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer join Tony Granato, who’s also new.

10. Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million

Jul 30, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT

P.K. Subban AP

Will this all get settled before Friday’s hearing?

11. PHT Morning Skate: Dustin Brown vs. the FedEx delivery guy

Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Dustin Brown Getty Images

Kings captain meets Rangers fan. Hi-jinx ensue.

12. Report: Sabres owner Pegula makes bid for NFL’s Bills

Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT

Terry Pegula AP

Now battling Bon Jovi and Donald Trump!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches