Feb 7, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
As we previously reported, the New York Islanders have acquired Tim Thomas from the Boston Bruins for a conditional second round pick. The Islanders will not have to give the Bruins anything if Thomas never reports and they don’t trade him.
Based on what Thomas’ agent, Bill Zito said, Boston won’t be getting that pick anytime soon.
“Thomas’ situation is status quo,” Zito told ESPN. “As far as I know, none of this had anything to do with Tim. In fact, it was news to us when we learned of it.”
The 38-year-old goaltender decided to take the year off to “reconnect with friends, family and faith.”
When the Islanders announced the trade, GM Garth Snow said that the move would give the Islanders “flexibility with our roster moving forward.”
Thomas helps keep them over the cap floor should they chose to make additional trades down the road. So if this exchange is more about Thomas’ cap hit than his skills, is it okay by the NHL?
“As long as a player has an active contract that he has the right to return to, absent unusual circumstances, our view is that he remains a ‘hockey asset’ that a Club has a right to trade or acquire,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said.
It is worth adding that the New York Islanders can toll Thomas’ contract — just as they previously did with Evgeni Nabokov — so that he would still be under their control for the 2013-14 campaign. In other words, if he Thomas wants to return next season, where he plays could very well be up to the Islanders.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)