Feb 7, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
As we previously reported, the New York Islanders have acquired Tim Thomas from the Boston Bruins for a conditional second round pick. The Islanders will not have to give the Bruins anything if Thomas never reports and they don’t trade him.
Based on what Thomas’ agent, Bill Zito said, Boston won’t be getting that pick anytime soon.
“Thomas’ situation is status quo,” Zito told ESPN. “As far as I know, none of this had anything to do with Tim. In fact, it was news to us when we learned of it.”
The 38-year-old goaltender decided to take the year off to “reconnect with friends, family and faith.”
When the Islanders announced the trade, GM Garth Snow said that the move would give the Islanders “flexibility with our roster moving forward.”
Thomas helps keep them over the cap floor should they chose to make additional trades down the road. So if this exchange is more about Thomas’ cap hit than his skills, is it okay by the NHL?
“As long as a player has an active contract that he has the right to return to, absent unusual circumstances, our view is that he remains a ‘hockey asset’ that a Club has a right to trade or acquire,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said.
It is worth adding that the New York Islanders can toll Thomas’ contract — just as they previously did with Evgeni Nabokov — so that he would still be under their control for the 2013-14 campaign. In other words, if he Thomas wants to return next season, where he plays could very well be up to the Islanders.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 43
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 34
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 10
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22