Feb 7, 2013, 9:12 PM EST
As we previously reported, the New York Islanders have acquired Tim Thomas from the Boston Bruins for a conditional second round pick. The Islanders will not have to give the Bruins anything if Thomas never reports and they don’t trade him.
Based on what Thomas’ agent, Bill Zito said, Boston won’t be getting that pick anytime soon.
“Thomas’ situation is status quo,” Zito told ESPN. “As far as I know, none of this had anything to do with Tim. In fact, it was news to us when we learned of it.”
The 38-year-old goaltender decided to take the year off to “reconnect with friends, family and faith.”
When the Islanders announced the trade, GM Garth Snow said that the move would give the Islanders “flexibility with our roster moving forward.”
Thomas helps keep them over the cap floor should they chose to make additional trades down the road. So if this exchange is more about Thomas’ cap hit than his skills, is it okay by the NHL?
“As long as a player has an active contract that he has the right to return to, absent unusual circumstances, our view is that he remains a ‘hockey asset’ that a Club has a right to trade or acquire,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said.
It is worth adding that the New York Islanders can toll Thomas’ contract — just as they previously did with Evgeni Nabokov — so that he would still be under their control for the 2013-14 campaign. In other words, if he Thomas wants to return next season, where he plays could very well be up to the Islanders.
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 1
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 27
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 44
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15