Feb 7, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
It’s been busy in Buffalo lately on both the injury and speculation front.
To the latter — speculation! — Sabres GM Darcy Regier told ESPN.com he’s making calls around the league, looking to make a deal in the hope of snapping Buffalo out of its 3-6-1 start to the season.
“”I’ve talked to some GMs the last few days,” Regier said. “It’s a pretty quiet market right now. A number of teams have very small things they want to do, quite honestly, with the hope that whether it’s with their players or our players, they’re going to get them on track because of their previous history of them being a lot better.”
It’s obvious Buffalo needs to improve its defensive play — they’re allowing nearly four goals per game — and that improvement could come from within as injured blueliners return to action.
It also might have to come from within.
ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports it “appears to be a soft trade market” at the moment, with defensemen at a premium.
Wade Redden found work quickly after being bought out by the Rangers, and Detroit signed 33-year-old Kent Huskins — unattached to start the year — after a rash of injuries depleted its defense.
Speaking of defensemen, Christian Ehrhoff returns from injury tonight to face the Habs after missing Tuesday’s game in Ottawa with a undisclosed muscle strain.
It’s unclear who he’ll play with on defense because, as alluded to earlier, Buffalo’s a mess injury-wise.
Andrej Sekera and Robyn Regehr are both out with ankle injuries (though head coach Lindy Ruff said both could return by the weekend), and the Buffalo News projects it’ll be Ehrhoff, Mike Weber, Jordan Leopold, Alex Sulzer, Adam Pardy and Tyler Myers on defense, with T.J. Brennan the odd man out.
May 22, 2015, 10:25 AM EDT
He also reiterates that the salary cap will be about $71M.
May 22, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Almost always a good way to go.
May 22, 2015, 8:31 AM EDT
May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT
Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Game 4 goes Saturday in Chicago.
May 22, 2015, 12:12 AM EDT
So, what will the coach do for Game 4?
May 21, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago’s power play came up empty.
May 21, 2015, 10:36 PM EDT
Talk about timing.
May 21, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Quite a sequence.
May 21, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
‘Showtime’ strikes late in the period.
May 21, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Coach Q, shaking it up.
May 21, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Pittsburgh GM won’t stand in the way.
May 21, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Hit knocked the veteran d-man out of Game 3.
May 21, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
“To have a guy of his ilk, considered one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League, taking a real good hard look at us in Buffalo after a 30th-place finish — I thought the process was great.”
May 21, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Two-way contract for Karpat’s playoff scoring sensation.
May 21, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
A wide range of topics.
May 21, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
“It’s something that we’re working on everyday. We’re trying to do it behind closed doors and away from public scrutiny.”
May 21, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
“Word choice matters, even when attempting to be humorous.”
May 21, 2015, 2:58 PM EDT
Recently represented the United States at the worlds.
May 21, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
As many as six new head coaches could still be named.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)