Feb 7, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
The start of the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, is exactly a year away. And while there’s still no official agreement to have NHL players participate, that could soon change.
Per Sportsnet’s John Shannon, the NHL, NHLPA and the International Ice Hockey Federation will meet Thursday and Friday of next week in New York to discuss the issue. The three parties are also reportedly hoping a representative from the International Olympic Committee will be in attendance.
Earlier in the week, TSN’s Bob McKenzie called the NHL’s participation in the Games “just short of a foregone conclusion”, but noted that the league and the players’ association wanted a better deal from the IIHF and IOC.
“A better deal doesn’t mean a better monetary deal,” McKenzie said. “It means better access to the players. The use of images, the use of video, things like that — as well as accommodations, tickets and the NHL and NHLPA basically being treated as if it was a major sponsor of the Olympics.”
Apr 17, 2015, 11:21 PM EDT
All the breaks seem to be going Chicago’s way.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Second key player Nashville’s lost in as many games.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Not a great start to the playoffs for Corey Crawford.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk admits Isles let one slip away.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Ottawa will need magic at home.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Quite a comeback win for Washington.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
He blew the Islanders’ minds on this one.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT
Updated with P.K. Subban’s booming goal.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
Awesome countered by awesomeness.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
He seemed tentative in warm-ups …
Apr 17, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Apr 17, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
No pressure, kid.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:55 PM EDT
Game 2’s galore.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:07 PM EDT
“It seems when we lose a game everyone’s really focused to get back on the winning track.”
Apr 17, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Mike Fisher looks like he’s unable to go.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
After racking up 78 points in 69 games.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
He’s no Eric Lindros.
Apr 17, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
Montreal could be without two of its better offensive forwards.
Apr 17, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
“We just didn’t get the bounces tonight. “
Apr 17, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Not a huge surprise, really.
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 0
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Datsyuk, Mrazek powers Red Wings past Lightning in Game 1 30