Feb 7, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
St. Louis Blues defenseman Wade Redden might play in his 1,000th NHL game tonight. It’s a feat that’s special on its own, but it’s his path to this day that has been truly unique.
Back when Redden was shining as one of the top offensive defensemen in the NHL during his days with the Ottawa Senators, no one would have had a problem believing that he would someday reach the 1,000-game mark.
After inking a six-year, $39 million deal with the New York Rangers prior to the start of the 2008-09 campaign, reaching the major hockey milestone was seen as nothing more than a rapidly approaching inevitability.
Of course, things didn’t go as planned. Redden’s contract with the Rangers was a disaster and after 994 career NHL games, the Rangers decided to make him an extremely well-paid minor-leaguer. Redden spent two seasons in the AHL before the lockout prevented him from doing even that.
If it wasn’t for the amnesty buyouts that were included in the new CBA, he still wouldn’t be playing in the NHL. Fortunately for him there were and now he’s with the St. Louis Blues after signing a far more modest one-year, $800,000 contract.
“He was in a tough spot. He couldn’t really do anything. He couldn’t just ask for a trade and get a new start somewhere else. It was a really hard situation. We had talks about whether he wanted to keep playing. The money is obviously not the issue, but it wears on you mentally and with the motivation. I’ve been impressed with how he stuck with it and it’s nice to see that it’s paying off.”
Jul 12, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Peruse Saturday’s set of links.
Jul 11, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
Two former first-round draft picks.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
He didn’t play professional hockey in 2013-14.
Jul 11, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
Jason Spezza’s departure likely makes him Ottawa’s No. 1 pivot.
Jul 11, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT
Will their optimism be justified?
Jul 11, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He seemed bound for Switzerland on Thursday.
Jul 11, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
They acquired him from Montreal this summer.
Jul 11, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Another interesting young forward in Tampa Bay.
Jul 11, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
“Evander’s a Winnipeg Jet and that’s how we’re moving forward.”
Jul 11, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
What could the Blackhawks’ defense look like without him?
Jul 11, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT
Pressure’s on for Randy Carlyle.
Jul 11, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
“We’re not going to finish last to try and draft people first or second.”
Jul 11, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Drafted 22nd overall.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:24 AM EDT
Played for Steve Yzerman during the 2010 Olympics.
Jul 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
“There was no room for negotiation.”
Jul 11, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Six-year extension for the 28-year-old center.
Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Not that there was much left anyways.
Jul 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
Two depth moves for San Jose.
Jul 10, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
They also gave Rinat Valiev an entry-level contract.
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 24
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 65
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (65)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)