Feb 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
NHL’s latest trend — sending messages to veterans via the healthy scratch — extended to New York on Thursday, as the Rangers announced forward Brian Boyle would be one tonight against the Islanders.
“My whole body of work, it hasn’t been there this year — I know I’ve got to be better,” Boyle said upon learning he’d been dropped from the lineup. “”I work as hard as I can every day, but I need to play more desperate.”
Boyle burst onto Broadway during the 2010-11 campaign, scoring a career-high 21 goals and 35 points while averaging nearly 16 minutes per game. His production dipped in 2011-12 — 11 goals and 26 points — but he still received a healthy amount of ice time.
What’s more, Boyle never missed games.
He played all 82 in each of the last two years and, according to NHL.com’s Dave Lozo, will see his consecutive game streak of 174 come to an end tonight with
The 6-foot-7, 244-pound center owned up to not playing well this year — he has just one point and is minus-3 through nine games — and said he’s part of the reason for New York’s sluggish start.
“I’m just not playing well enough, making mistakes,” Boyle said. “Everybody makes mistakes but I’m not contributing enough or playing to where I can play to.
“It’s not for a lack of effort but there’s no moral victories when you’re 4-5 and I need to have a lot more of an impact.”
Captain Ryan Callahan will also make his return after dealing with a shoulder injury.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
It was nice.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
Going from bad to worse for Edmonton.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EST
Lucic didn’t drop his gloves. Prout did. History between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
There’s a history between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Columbus was leading 2-0 at the time.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Ranks seventh in the NHL in ice time.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:49 PM EST
Possible headbutt in this fight?
Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
They’ve won big and they’ve lost big.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:14 PM EST
A San Jose draft pick from 2008.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
Avs call up a trio of players from the AHL.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
“I really feel bad for him. It appears his parents mismanaged his money.”
Nov 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
Pursuant to the “Bona Fide Long-Term Injury Exception” section of the CBA.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
That’s a guy shoveling snow off his roof in Buffalo.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
D-man for d-man.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:17 PM EST
Currently out of the playoff picture in the Western Conference.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:29 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Even coach DeBoer is surprised a backup hasn’t started yet.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Veteran Avs forward won’t play Saturday against Carolina.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
“For us, and our group, it was something that we decided. I’m not going to discuss what we talk about inside of our room.”
Nov 21, 2014, 1:11 PM EST
The comeback bid is about to end.
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 8
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 22
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 27
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 69
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 34
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (74)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)