Feb 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
NHL’s latest trend — sending messages to veterans via the healthy scratch — extended to New York on Thursday, as the Rangers announced forward Brian Boyle would be one tonight against the Islanders.
“My whole body of work, it hasn’t been there this year — I know I’ve got to be better,” Boyle said upon learning he’d been dropped from the lineup. “”I work as hard as I can every day, but I need to play more desperate.”
Boyle burst onto Broadway during the 2010-11 campaign, scoring a career-high 21 goals and 35 points while averaging nearly 16 minutes per game. His production dipped in 2011-12 — 11 goals and 26 points — but he still received a healthy amount of ice time.
What’s more, Boyle never missed games.
He played all 82 in each of the last two years and, according to NHL.com’s Dave Lozo, will see his consecutive game streak of 174 come to an end tonight with
The 6-foot-7, 244-pound center owned up to not playing well this year — he has just one point and is minus-3 through nine games — and said he’s part of the reason for New York’s sluggish start.
“I’m just not playing well enough, making mistakes,” Boyle said. “Everybody makes mistakes but I’m not contributing enough or playing to where I can play to.
“It’s not for a lack of effort but there’s no moral victories when you’re 4-5 and I need to have a lot more of an impact.”
Captain Ryan Callahan will also make his return after dealing with a shoulder injury.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
Mar 26, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
An interesting comment from his agent.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“We are all thinking the same way and going the same direction.”
Mar 26, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
Mar 26, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT
Colgate standout inks deal, will report to team.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Well, that clears it up.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:57 PM EDT
Was a Hobey Baker and Mike Richter Award finalist in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Click for the video explanation.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
“We will continue to monitor the situation closely and until the continuing legal process is completed, we will have no further comment.”
Mar 26, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
He was the club’s third-round pick at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:04 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Triple Gold Club member won a World Championship and Olympic Gold in 2006, and a Stanley Cup in 2008.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
The B’s are desperate for a win.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:36 AM EDT
“He was abusive to the staff at the casino, and when officers tried to take him into custody, he bit one of them on the finger.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 9
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 21
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 12
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)