Feb 7, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
NHL’s latest trend — sending messages to veterans via the healthy scratch — extended to New York on Thursday, as the Rangers announced forward Brian Boyle would be one tonight against the Islanders.
“My whole body of work, it hasn’t been there this year — I know I’ve got to be better,” Boyle said upon learning he’d been dropped from the lineup. “”I work as hard as I can every day, but I need to play more desperate.”
Boyle burst onto Broadway during the 2010-11 campaign, scoring a career-high 21 goals and 35 points while averaging nearly 16 minutes per game. His production dipped in 2011-12 — 11 goals and 26 points — but he still received a healthy amount of ice time.
What’s more, Boyle never missed games.
He played all 82 in each of the last two years and, according to NHL.com’s Dave Lozo, will see his consecutive game streak of 174 come to an end tonight with
The 6-foot-7, 244-pound center owned up to not playing well this year — he has just one point and is minus-3 through nine games — and said he’s part of the reason for New York’s sluggish start.
“I’m just not playing well enough, making mistakes,” Boyle said. “Everybody makes mistakes but I’m not contributing enough or playing to where I can play to.
“It’s not for a lack of effort but there’s no moral victories when you’re 4-5 and I need to have a lot more of an impact.”
Captain Ryan Callahan will also make his return after dealing with a shoulder injury.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
Jul 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Jul 22, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Also went to bat for Jumbo Joe.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
Coming off an impressive rookie season.
Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT
His name is Kyle Dubas.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT
Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,
Jul 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They didn’t make any big splashes this summer.
Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and all the links to start your day.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
He does know what the advanced stats say though.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)