Feb 7, 2013, 7:14 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
28-year-old defenseman Anton Babchuk has missed the Calgary Flames’ first seven contests due to a shoulder injury, but he’s now cleared for contact. Unfortunately the news isn’t as good for top prospect Sven Baertschi. (Flames.nhl.com)
The Winnipeg Jets decided to return 19-year-old forward Mark Scheifele to the OHL after a four-game trial this season. His junior coach thinks that the lockout and financial considerations ultimately hurt Scheifele’s chances, who was taken with the seventh overall pick in 2011. (Winnipeg Sun)
Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau gave a straightforward reason as to why 20-year-old forward Devante Smith-Pelly was returned to the minors after only five games: He wasn’t getting enough playing time. “In and out of the lineup, for a kid that age, is stunting his growth,” Boudreau said. (Orange County Register)
A look at why the New York Rangers, Los Angeles Kings, and Phoenix Coyotes have all gotten off to mediocre starts despite making it to at least the semifinals last season. (Sportsnet)
26-year-old forward Patric Hornqvist (shoulder) is progressing nicely according to Predators coach Barry Trotz. Based on his original timetable, Hornqvist should be back by mid-to-late February. (The Tennessean)
The Edmonton Oilers have been devastated by injuries over the past several years. Oilers coach Ralph Krueger is hoping to change that…next season. (Edmonton Sun)
The little things are turning into big problems for the Washington Capitals. (Washington Times)
With Miikka Kiprusoff sidelined due to a lower body injury, this is a big opportunity for 24-year-old goaltender Leland Irving. Typically netminders don’t get too many chances to prove themselves as Kiprusoff’s understudy. (Calgary Sun)
Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
“I think he likes the big stage.”
Apr 24, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Elsewhere, Detroit will play Boston and Colorado will face the Wild.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
Another memorable moment for the American star.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
The NFL defensive back strategy.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Nice gesture … bad sign?
Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
Nick Foligno called his goal ahead of time.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 18
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 76
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 95
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)