Feb 7, 2013, 7:14 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
28-year-old defenseman Anton Babchuk has missed the Calgary Flames’ first seven contests due to a shoulder injury, but he’s now cleared for contact. Unfortunately the news isn’t as good for top prospect Sven Baertschi. (Flames.nhl.com)
The Winnipeg Jets decided to return 19-year-old forward Mark Scheifele to the OHL after a four-game trial this season. His junior coach thinks that the lockout and financial considerations ultimately hurt Scheifele’s chances, who was taken with the seventh overall pick in 2011. (Winnipeg Sun)
Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau gave a straightforward reason as to why 20-year-old forward Devante Smith-Pelly was returned to the minors after only five games: He wasn’t getting enough playing time. “In and out of the lineup, for a kid that age, is stunting his growth,” Boudreau said. (Orange County Register)
A look at why the New York Rangers, Los Angeles Kings, and Phoenix Coyotes have all gotten off to mediocre starts despite making it to at least the semifinals last season. (Sportsnet)
26-year-old forward Patric Hornqvist (shoulder) is progressing nicely according to Predators coach Barry Trotz. Based on his original timetable, Hornqvist should be back by mid-to-late February. (The Tennessean)
The Edmonton Oilers have been devastated by injuries over the past several years. Oilers coach Ralph Krueger is hoping to change that…next season. (Edmonton Sun)
The little things are turning into big problems for the Washington Capitals. (Washington Times)
With Miikka Kiprusoff sidelined due to a lower body injury, this is a big opportunity for 24-year-old goaltender Leland Irving. Typically netminders don’t get too many chances to prove themselves as Kiprusoff’s understudy. (Calgary Sun)
Dec 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
2014 was another painful year, but was it also one of progress?
Dec 25, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
The perfect storm that led to a shocking trade deadline captains swap between two teams looking to make serious playoff runs.
Dec 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
A major letdown in Sochi, followed by the Caps missing the playoffs.
Dec 25, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
One of the best performances in international hockey history.
Dec 25, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Hockey mourned the loss of two of its most respected individuals.
Dec 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
It wasn’t the reason he was fired, but it sure was memorable.
Dec 25, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
After 22 years, the Finnish Flash called it a day.
Dec 25, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
From down 0-3 to winning it all.
Dec 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Over 105,000 descended on Ann Arbor for an unforgettable experience.
Dec 25, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Even a disappointing Olympic finish can’t erase a star-making moment.
Dec 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Was quite the playoff run for L.A. and its 27-year-old defenseman.
Dec 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Check back often. It’s an all-day thing.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)