Feb 7, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
Veteran forward Alexei Kovalev will be a healthy scratch for the Panthers tonight in Philadelphia, according to George Richards of the Miami Herald.
Kovalev, who turns 40 in two weeks, has been mired in a funk since posting a one-goal, two-assist effort in Florida’s 5-1 season-opening victory against Carolina.
The Russian winger has just one point — a goal against Winnipeg — in eight games since and has posted a minus-4 rating over that time.
Slumping aside, it’s curious to note that head coach Kevin Dineen was still using Kovalev extensively over the last two weeks.
He played a season-high 21:22 in a loss to Ottawa on Jan. 24 and, in a 4-3 win over Buffalo on Sunday, played 17:33 — the only forwards to receive more ice time were Tomas Fleischmann and Stephen Weiss.
If Gudbranson can go, sounds like Keaton Ellerby will likely draw out of the lineup.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (44)