Feb 7, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
There’s the potential for drama tonight when the Chicago Blackhawks take on the Coyotes in Phoenix — the first time Hossa and Raffi Torres have met since Torres’ knocked Hossa out of action.
The drama, though, is something Marian Hossa wants to downplay.
“It’s a thing you don’t forget, but I [turned] that page and this is another season,” he told CSN Chicago. “For me, it’s just another game. I don’t worry about anything else.”
Thursday’s game will mark the second Coyotes-‘Hawks contest since “the hit” during the opening round of last year’s playoffs, but the first with Torres in the lineup.
The 31-year-old was suspended 25 games for his actions — appealed down to 21 — and quietly returned to the Coyotes lineup last Saturday.
Hossa spent months recovering from a concussion and was only medically cleared to return to action in December, yet seems to harbor no desire for retribution against Torres.
“I think it’ll be a normal game; I don’t expect anything,” he said. “For me it’s just another game. I don’t worry about anything else.”
It’s possible the real fireworks of this situation could be saved for Apr. 20, when Phoenix makes its first and only return to the scene of last April’s crime.
Chicago, you’ll recall, was incensed by the Torres hit and took its frustrations out in a number of ways — Coyotes’ announcer Tyson Nash claimed he received death threats, Chicago’s police Superintendent said Torres’ hit was “borderline criminal conduct” and the Chicago Sun-Times put Torres on the back cover of the newspaper with the headline “PUBLIC ENEMY NO. 1“
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 7
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)