Feb 7, 2013, 6:54 PM EST
Kimmo Timonen won’t be testing the free agent waters this summer. The Philadelphia Flyers announced Thursday night that they have agreed to a one-year contract extension with the 37-year-old defenseman.
“Kimmo’s presence on the ice for us and in our locker room is invaluable,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said. “We look forward to him continuing his all-around play for us.”
Philadelphia didn’t immediately disclosed the financial terms of the deal, but the contract will pay Timonen $6 million in 2013-14, according to Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer’s source. Timonen’s current contract, which expires this summer, comes with a $6,333,333 annual cap hit.
The Finnish defenseman has been a stabilizing force on the Flyers’ blueline for years. He has recorded at least 37 points in each of his previous 10 campaigns and has played in at least 76 contests in each of his five full seasons with Philadelphia.
At the same time, he had back surgery last May and expressed concerns prior in early January about how his body might respond to a shortened season. So far he has five points and is averaging a team-leading 22:46 minutes through 10 games.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 21
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)