Feb 7, 2013, 6:54 PM EST
Kimmo Timonen won’t be testing the free agent waters this summer. The Philadelphia Flyers announced Thursday night that they have agreed to a one-year contract extension with the 37-year-old defenseman.
“Kimmo’s presence on the ice for us and in our locker room is invaluable,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said. “We look forward to him continuing his all-around play for us.”
Philadelphia didn’t immediately disclosed the financial terms of the deal, but the contract will pay Timonen $6 million in 2013-14, according to Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer’s source. Timonen’s current contract, which expires this summer, comes with a $6,333,333 annual cap hit.
The Finnish defenseman has been a stabilizing force on the Flyers’ blueline for years. He has recorded at least 37 points in each of his previous 10 campaigns and has played in at least 76 contests in each of his five full seasons with Philadelphia.
At the same time, he had back surgery last May and expressed concerns prior in early January about how his body might respond to a shortened season. So far he has five points and is averaging a team-leading 22:46 minutes through 10 games.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)