Feb 7, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
Kimmo Timonen won’t be testing the free agent waters this summer. The Philadelphia Flyers announced Thursday night that they have agreed to a one-year contract extension with the 37-year-old defenseman.
“Kimmo’s presence on the ice for us and in our locker room is invaluable,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said. “We look forward to him continuing his all-around play for us.”
Philadelphia didn’t immediately disclosed the financial terms of the deal, but the contract will pay Timonen $6 million in 2013-14, according to Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer’s source. Timonen’s current contract, which expires this summer, comes with a $6,333,333 annual cap hit.
The Finnish defenseman has been a stabilizing force on the Flyers’ blueline for years. He has recorded at least 37 points in each of his previous 10 campaigns and has played in at least 76 contests in each of his five full seasons with Philadelphia.
At the same time, he had back surgery last May and expressed concerns prior in early January about how his body might respond to a shortened season. So far he has five points and is averaging a team-leading 22:46 minutes through 10 games.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)