Feb 7, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
Kimmo Timonen won’t be testing the free agent waters this summer. The Philadelphia Flyers announced Thursday night that they have agreed to a one-year contract extension with the 37-year-old defenseman.
“Kimmo’s presence on the ice for us and in our locker room is invaluable,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said. “We look forward to him continuing his all-around play for us.”
Philadelphia didn’t immediately disclosed the financial terms of the deal, but the contract will pay Timonen $6 million in 2013-14, according to Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer’s source. Timonen’s current contract, which expires this summer, comes with a $6,333,333 annual cap hit.
The Finnish defenseman has been a stabilizing force on the Flyers’ blueline for years. He has recorded at least 37 points in each of his previous 10 campaigns and has played in at least 76 contests in each of his five full seasons with Philadelphia.
At the same time, he had back surgery last May and expressed concerns prior in early January about how his body might respond to a shortened season. So far he has five points and is averaging a team-leading 22:46 minutes through 10 games.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)