Feb 7, 2013, 6:54 PM EDT
Kimmo Timonen won’t be testing the free agent waters this summer. The Philadelphia Flyers announced Thursday night that they have agreed to a one-year contract extension with the 37-year-old defenseman.
“Kimmo’s presence on the ice for us and in our locker room is invaluable,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said. “We look forward to him continuing his all-around play for us.”
Philadelphia didn’t immediately disclosed the financial terms of the deal, but the contract will pay Timonen $6 million in 2013-14, according to Sam Carchidi of the Philadelphia Inquirer’s source. Timonen’s current contract, which expires this summer, comes with a $6,333,333 annual cap hit.
The Finnish defenseman has been a stabilizing force on the Flyers’ blueline for years. He has recorded at least 37 points in each of his previous 10 campaigns and has played in at least 76 contests in each of his five full seasons with Philadelphia.
At the same time, he had back surgery last May and expressed concerns prior in early January about how his body might respond to a shortened season. So far he has five points and is averaging a team-leading 22:46 minutes through 10 games.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)