Feb 7, 2013, 1:15 AM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk hasn’t scored in six games. He hasn’t registered a point in five.
These are unfamiliar times for the Russian sniper, who has twice reached the 50-goal plateau in his NHL career. He is also in the third year of a 15-year, $100 million contract.
But the start of the 2013 season looks, at least based on statistics, to be a forgettable one. He has two goals and five points in nine games.
Despite Kovalchuk’s struggles, Devils head coach Pete DeBoer doesn’t seemed concerned.
“That’s the bottom line. I’m not worried about (Kovalchuk),” DeBoer told the Newark-based Star-Ledger.
“Kovy is on board and he’s doing a lot of little things the right way and it’s helping us win games. He’s on the ice all the time and he’s getting chances. Those are eventually going to go in for him.
“The reason we’re winning is the guy is on the ice 26 minutes a game…He’s having an impact in a lot of different areas rather than just on the scoreboard.”
The Devils are fourth in the Eastern Conference with a 5-1-3 record.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)