Feb 7, 2013, 1:15 AM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk hasn’t scored in six games. He hasn’t registered a point in five.
These are unfamiliar times for the Russian sniper, who has twice reached the 50-goal plateau in his NHL career. He is also in the third year of a 15-year, $100 million contract.
But the start of the 2013 season looks, at least based on statistics, to be a forgettable one. He has two goals and five points in nine games.
Despite Kovalchuk’s struggles, Devils head coach Pete DeBoer doesn’t seemed concerned.
“That’s the bottom line. I’m not worried about (Kovalchuk),” DeBoer told the Newark-based Star-Ledger.
“Kovy is on board and he’s doing a lot of little things the right way and it’s helping us win games. He’s on the ice all the time and he’s getting chances. Those are eventually going to go in for him.
“The reason we’re winning is the guy is on the ice 26 minutes a game…He’s having an impact in a lot of different areas rather than just on the scoreboard.”
The Devils are fourth in the Eastern Conference with a 5-1-3 record.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (42)