Crosby surprised by Ovechkin’s struggles, sure he’ll bounce back

Feb 7, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT

ovechkincrosbyhandshake AP

Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby vs Washington’s Alex Ovechkin. That used to be the big rivalry in hockey, but it hasn’t been that way lately.

Ovechkin has just two goals and five points in 10 games this season and those struggles have been amplified by his disappointing — at least by the high standards he’s held to — 2011-12 campaign.

So going into the Penguins’ match against the Capitals Thursday night, is Crosby surprised by his adversaries recent misfortunes?

“Yeah, a little bit,” Crosby said in a CSN Washington report. “I’ve watched a couple games and I think he’s had his chances and the puck hasn’t gone in.

“Obviously, there’s always expectations and there’s a lot hype on him and there’s pressure that comes with that. But I think he’s still shooting the puck well, still creating some chances and still someone we definitely have to be aware of. I don’t look into [two goals] as a big problem for him.

“He’s going to generate chances and I’m sure eventually the points will come.”

Meanwhile, Crosby hasn’t had any problem living up to expectations this season. He’s tied for fourth place in the NHL with 14 points in 10 games. Which begs the question, given Ovechkin’s offensive decline in recent years, is he still on Crosby’s level?

“Well, if you look at the standings of course he’s way too up, I’m way too down,” Ovechkin said. “I just have to catch him.”

The Capitals are in the NHL’s basement with a 2-7-1 record. If they don’t start that comeback soon, then they’ll be out of this playoff race before it even heats up.

1. cbghockeyvideos87 - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

GO PENGUINS! !

2. killerpgh - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I’m sure this makes it more crying for the captain….

• kitshky - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

What are you babbling about?

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM

One of the writers (Jason Brough) decided (poorly) to post an incredibly tasteless and dangerously unethical “challenge” today, that’s what he’s talking about. It was immature as an adult, irresponsible as a writer, and despicable as a hockey fan (if he is one).

• kitshky - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

What are you babbling about?

3. nothanksimdriving123 - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Phil Kessel would love to be scoring goals as poorly as Ovechkin.

• steelpenbucs87 - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM

This made me laugh out loud – well done.

In all honesty I know the Crosby – Ovi rivalry was a strong one but I do think there was always a level of respect between these two (I think having Malkin on the same team helps since Ovi and Malkin are friends).

I agree with Sid that Crosby will figure it out – Ovi got off to a slow start last year too. He’ll be fine.

This is the part where am I’m supposed to say 1975 for something but I’m not going to because its stupid.

• steelpenbucs87 - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Annnnd as I write that Ovi is on the board with a PP wicked wrister.

See! Sid was right

4. broadstbully33 - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:15 PM

If my tag was hockey withdrawal I would call this whining. But the fact is that this season OV isn’t on crosbys level.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM

How about you keep your dumbass, demeaning comments (at least I think it was demeaning, it made about as much sense as your comments normally do) to yourself, comment on the ARTICLE or situation therein, and leave me the eff out of your imagination, creepshow. To many idiots on here that really don’t give a sh*t about what they are reading and decide instead to comment on the other readers. You are perhaps the biggest offender.

Wait isn’t this where everyone should be calling you TROLL, or are you entitled to your opinion, even if it is about me and not the article?

• zetaone - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Kettle, meet pot. Pot, this is kettle.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Thanks for your input. I don’t think I did anything to egg that on, nor do I think I’ve done it in the past. The problem is that no one wants to hear an opinion other than their own, even in a public comment section. Soooo….are you any better then? Clearly you have so much to add…about the article, and all. Or do you also just take every chance to jump in on the other readers?

• zetaone - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Every post I read of yours, you have SO MUCH anger. Dude just calm tf down. This about sports. Not life and death stuff. Chill out.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Ok…so…anything to say about the article at all?

5. spavs412 - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Do u think caps fans still think they took the right Russian? Glad they did though, having THE 2 best players in the league is fun to watch.

• chelseax11 - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM

At the end of the day, the scariest thing about all this is that Jonathan Toews could have easily been a Penguin, too. Talk about a 3 headed monster down the center……..

6. eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 7, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Who cares what she thinks

• killerpgh - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I’m guessing you do since you click and commented on the story…

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Great comeback crud kake !

• killerpgh - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM

You must of really liked the story. You came back to read it again.

• jimeejohnson - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Too many cheesesteaks. Not enough love.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM

and for you jimee too many tube steaks !

• ethanmacleod1685 - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I don’t wana get in the he said, she said. I’m the he!

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM

That’s not what she said !

• upyoursnfu - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM

You obviously do…..obsessed?

7. broadstbully33 - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Killrpgh is hockey withdrawal. He was just tired of getting made fun of on his other name

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Ahh, I knew there had to be more than one moronic post from you. You have some issues, bud. Cheers.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM

If only his mothers lovers would have practiced withdrawal !

• jimeejohnson - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Be careful: you’ll piss off Carmelo.

• hockeywithdrawal - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Everytime a Flyer fan opens his mouth, you prove everyone else right.

8. jimeejohnson - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

You have to be an idiot not to realize Ovechkin will play better. Nobody can take away his flair for hockey except himself. In that case, he’ll retire, and I don’t believe that is going to happen for some time.

9. broadstbully33 - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Lol withdrawal you’re a sad human being… Expected since you’re a pens fan.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Yo they aint makin no movie about the pens but rob zombie is making one about our flyguys ! Who’s got it better than us NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBODY !

• upyoursnfu - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM

What’s it called? “No Stanley Cup in 40 year
        “?????

• upyoursnfu - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM

What’s it called? “No Stanley Cup in 40 years
        “?????

• bobhpine - Feb 8, 2013 at 3:28 AM

This broadstreetbully guy is awesome. He comments on just about every article, invariably calls Sidney Crosby or Pittsburgh penguin fans whiners or crybabies, talks about being “classy” and then calls Penguin fans stupid…throw in the odd inane hockey analysis every once in awhile and you have a witches brew of moron.

Then he calls other people “sad” ….sad!

The best part is that this incredibly busy, creative, high achieving winner couldn’t possibly begin to grasp why this is all so comical…and yes, also quite sad. The sheer volume of his posts is staggering.

What did your mom make you for dinner tonight broadstreetbully? Did you have to clean you room today?

10. broadstbully33 - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I think it was a fair challenge issued by Jason ( one of my favorite writers on this site). ESP after the Rinaldo article where pen trolls esp withdrawal came out in full force to voice there opinion ( mostly just hate and no facts as usual from pens fans) on something that had nothing to do with the pens.

11. broadstbully33 - Feb 7, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Just like withdrawal was the first to comment and spew insults on the article that showed a flyers jersey and his troll senses kicked in immediately. Your a joke bud we all know it.

12. capsfan19 - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Im not crosby fan. A ton of respect but no fan, however i appreciated what he said. NO other hockey writer points out ovis fantastic opportunities. Maybe sid should take all their jobs?
    Its true! Hes been playing great considering. But yes in terms of goals scored it isnt so good ha.
    Ignorant dumbass just rag on him but dont realize the efforts he’s putting in. Im also not a fan of trading him. Deal with it

13. wisdomnfl - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:18 PM

1975

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

first bankruptcy , mario retires, second bankruptcy losing seasons and mario retires again

• upyoursnfu - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:23 PM

And yet still manage to win the cup 3 times

14. Nofoolnodrool - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:22 PM

1975 is the combined IQ of Philly right?. Oh it’s the last time they won a cup..refreshing

15. broadstbully33 - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Fail^

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

the only thing keeping the pens from a third bankruptcy is the flyers

16. wisdomnfl - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Looks like bsb got his test score.

17. broadstbully33 - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM

You say 1975 I say bankruptcy it’s getting kinda old. Fact is Philly still has 2 cups and hasn’t gone bankrupt 2x.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM

The league has done everything to keep this turd of an organization afloat !

18. wisdomnfl - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM

The Philly fans are mentally bankrupt. 1975.

19. broadstbully33 - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM

It’s actually sadder that pit has 3 cups and still went bankrupt 2x

20. wisdomnfl - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Ha ha bankrupt? That’s how you counter no Stanley cups since 1975? Ha ha losers.

• eigglesnosuperbowls - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I don’t think the NHL actually let the Penquins Organization keep the cup in their possession for fear they would sell it for scrap money !

21. broadstbully33 - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Nope just trolls like you. In your very first sentence you wrote cryers… So maybe look again

22. wisdomnfl - Feb 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Your right bsb 33 I’m going too far. I’m just tired of the anti pens banter. It would be good to actually have real comments on these.

23. wisdomnfl - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I’m watching ovi tonight 2 goals and playing like a madman. Nothing wrong with his game. He’ls back already.

24. broadstbully33 - Feb 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM

My first comment I added to the article bud.

25. live4hockey - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I can’t believe Crosby is crying about Ovi not scoring…he won’t stop with this!

26. broadstbully33 - Feb 7, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Well when you suck and get top picks 4 or 5 years in a row it’s not hard to build a good team.

27. ironman721 - Feb 8, 2013 at 4:41 AM

I don’t blame Flyer fans for liking Ovi. They know when the Caps have used him up, flyer brass will find a way to trade and over pay for him because he will still have a big name. Wait… When is the trade deadline? Let’s go Pens 🐧!

28. broadstbully33 - Feb 8, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Well that was a dumb comment. Bravo sir bravo

29. spavs412 - Feb 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Funny bsb33 always says the same thing every post…. Blah blah bankrupt blah blah cry baby.. Lets face it, bsb33 we had an arena that took all of our money and made it impossible to profit. You sir are a troll loser that picks on hockeyWD because it’s the only thing in your pathetic meaningless life you have going for you. Go back to water ice shop making minimum wage and cuddle with Ginger bf captain while enjoying ur nickleback cd.
    Funny that pgh is 1/3 the size of Philly but yet we are the city of champs. We will continue to stock our trophy display while you sit at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches