Feb 7, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
There’s been plenty of encouraging news about the NHL’s early season TV ratings and that trend continued on Wednesday when the Boston Bruins took on the Montreal Canadiens in the third installment of NBCSN’s Wednesday Night Rivalry this season, according to an NBC Sports Group release.
The game drew 771,000 average viewers and a 0.43 household rating. That breaks NBCSN’s record for a regular season contest involving a Canadian squad. It was also the most-watched game on cable to feature a Canadian team in almost 13 years.
If you include all of the regular season games that NBCSN has aired in its history, then the Bruins-Canadiens contest ranks fourth in viewership.
It also did better NBCSN’s showing than the Heritage Classic between the Montreal Canadiens and Calgary Flames on Feb. 20, 2011. That contest attracted 608,000 viewers.
Overall, this is the best start NBCSN has ever had in an NHL season, with an average of 478,000 viewers tuning in for the first 10 NHL on NBC games. That’s a 44% increase over last year’s regular season average of 332,000.
This season’s Wednesday Night Rivalry has been a big part of that, with all three games earning spots on NBCSN’s list of the top-four highest rated NHL regular season matches in its history.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)