Feb 6, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
The Calgary Flames have inked AHL Abbotsford netminder Danny Taylor to a one-year, two-way deal worth $525,000.
Taylor, 26, joined the Flames organization last season and posted stellar numbers for the Heat — 17-10-3, 2.21 GAA, .927 save percentage — and has been equally solid (if not better) this season, posting a 1.77 GAA (2nd best in the AHL) and .930 save percentage (4th best).
Los Angeles’ seventh-round pick at the 2004 Entry Draft, Taylor appeared in one contest for the Kings — a 7-2 loss to Dallas in 2008, in which he replaced Erik Ersberg in the third period and allowed two goals on 10 shots.
That remains his lone NHL appearance.
Taylor will head to Columbus to join the Flames (they play the Blue Jackets on Thursday) and serve as Leland Irving‘s backup for an undetermined length of time.
Irving ascended to the No. 1 gig when Miikka Kiprusoff was injured during Tuesday’s 4-1 win in Detroit — the veteran Finnish netminder left the game after the second period, having suffered a lower-body injury after getting tangled with Wings forward Johan Franzen.
Update: Kiprusoff has officially been ruled out of Thursday’s game in Columbus, with TSN’s Aaron Ward hearing the injury is MCL/knee-related.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 8
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)