Feb 6, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames have inked AHL Abbotsford netminder Danny Taylor to a one-year, two-way deal worth $525,000.
Taylor, 26, joined the Flames organization last season and posted stellar numbers for the Heat — 17-10-3, 2.21 GAA, .927 save percentage — and has been equally solid (if not better) this season, posting a 1.77 GAA (2nd best in the AHL) and .930 save percentage (4th best).
Los Angeles’ seventh-round pick at the 2004 Entry Draft, Taylor appeared in one contest for the Kings — a 7-2 loss to Dallas in 2008, in which he replaced Erik Ersberg in the third period and allowed two goals on 10 shots.
That remains his lone NHL appearance.
Taylor will head to Columbus to join the Flames (they play the Blue Jackets on Thursday) and serve as Leland Irving‘s backup for an undetermined length of time.
Irving ascended to the No. 1 gig when Miikka Kiprusoff was injured during Tuesday’s 4-1 win in Detroit — the veteran Finnish netminder left the game after the second period, having suffered a lower-body injury after getting tangled with Wings forward Johan Franzen.
Update: Kiprusoff has officially been ruled out of Thursday’s game in Columbus, with TSN’s Aaron Ward hearing the injury is MCL/knee-related.
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 1
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 45
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 49
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)