Feb 6, 2013, 8:55 AM EST
Going into the Calgary Flames’ game against the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, 35-year-old forward Jarome Iginla was still searching for his first goal of the season.
The Flames captain has built a reputation for being able to consistently find the back of the net every season, but his first 25 shots on goal were stopped.
Iginla was able to put all that behind him when he positioned himself in front of Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard and shoveled the puck into the back of the net when the opportunity presented itself early in the first period.
“The first of the year is always nice to get over with,” Iginla said, in a Calgary Sun report.
“You never want to go six without it, and at the beginning of the season, it’s always magnified.”
You can watch his goal below:
The shortened season alone has amplified every cold streak, but Iginla is under additional scrutiny because of his star status and the fact that his contract will expire this summer.
He should have no trouble getting a new deal, even if he struggles, but there’s also the constant question of if the Flames will trade him while he’s still under their control and before his age degrades his market value too much.
That line of speculation will lose a lot of its fuel if the Flames can compete this season, but they have a uphill battle ahead of them despite their victory on Tuesday.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 55
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (80)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)