Feb 6, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Going into the Calgary Flames’ game against the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, 35-year-old forward Jarome Iginla was still searching for his first goal of the season.
The Flames captain has built a reputation for being able to consistently find the back of the net every season, but his first 25 shots on goal were stopped.
Iginla was able to put all that behind him when he positioned himself in front of Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard and shoveled the puck into the back of the net when the opportunity presented itself early in the first period.
“The first of the year is always nice to get over with,” Iginla said, in a Calgary Sun report.
“You never want to go six without it, and at the beginning of the season, it’s always magnified.”
You can watch his goal below:
The shortened season alone has amplified every cold streak, but Iginla is under additional scrutiny because of his star status and the fact that his contract will expire this summer.
He should have no trouble getting a new deal, even if he struggles, but there’s also the constant question of if the Flames will trade him while he’s still under their control and before his age degrades his market value too much.
That line of speculation will lose a lot of its fuel if the Flames can compete this season, but they have a uphill battle ahead of them despite their victory on Tuesday.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 0
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 2
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 28
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)