Feb 6, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Going into the Calgary Flames’ game against the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, 35-year-old forward Jarome Iginla was still searching for his first goal of the season.
The Flames captain has built a reputation for being able to consistently find the back of the net every season, but his first 25 shots on goal were stopped.
Iginla was able to put all that behind him when he positioned himself in front of Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard and shoveled the puck into the back of the net when the opportunity presented itself early in the first period.
“The first of the year is always nice to get over with,” Iginla said, in a Calgary Sun report.
“You never want to go six without it, and at the beginning of the season, it’s always magnified.”
You can watch his goal below:
The shortened season alone has amplified every cold streak, but Iginla is under additional scrutiny because of his star status and the fact that his contract will expire this summer.
He should have no trouble getting a new deal, even if he struggles, but there’s also the constant question of if the Flames will trade him while he’s still under their control and before his age degrades his market value too much.
That line of speculation will lose a lot of its fuel if the Flames can compete this season, but they have a uphill battle ahead of them despite their victory on Tuesday.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)