Feb 6, 2013, 8:55 AM EST
Going into the Calgary Flames’ game against the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, 35-year-old forward Jarome Iginla was still searching for his first goal of the season.
The Flames captain has built a reputation for being able to consistently find the back of the net every season, but his first 25 shots on goal were stopped.
Iginla was able to put all that behind him when he positioned himself in front of Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard and shoveled the puck into the back of the net when the opportunity presented itself early in the first period.
“The first of the year is always nice to get over with,” Iginla said, in a Calgary Sun report.
“You never want to go six without it, and at the beginning of the season, it’s always magnified.”
You can watch his goal below:
The shortened season alone has amplified every cold streak, but Iginla is under additional scrutiny because of his star status and the fact that his contract will expire this summer.
He should have no trouble getting a new deal, even if he struggles, but there’s also the constant question of if the Flames will trade him while he’s still under their control and before his age degrades his market value too much.
That line of speculation will lose a lot of its fuel if the Flames can compete this season, but they have a uphill battle ahead of them despite their victory on Tuesday.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)