Feb 6, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
Going into the Calgary Flames’ game against the Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday, 35-year-old forward Jarome Iginla was still searching for his first goal of the season.
The Flames captain has built a reputation for being able to consistently find the back of the net every season, but his first 25 shots on goal were stopped.
Iginla was able to put all that behind him when he positioned himself in front of Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard and shoveled the puck into the back of the net when the opportunity presented itself early in the first period.
“The first of the year is always nice to get over with,” Iginla said, in a Calgary Sun report.
“You never want to go six without it, and at the beginning of the season, it’s always magnified.”
You can watch his goal below:
The shortened season alone has amplified every cold streak, but Iginla is under additional scrutiny because of his star status and the fact that his contract will expire this summer.
He should have no trouble getting a new deal, even if he struggles, but there’s also the constant question of if the Flames will trade him while he’s still under their control and before his age degrades his market value too much.
That line of speculation will lose a lot of its fuel if the Flames can compete this season, but they have a uphill battle ahead of them despite their victory on Tuesday.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)