Feb 6, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Wayne Simmonds harbors no ill will towards the guy that concussed him.
That was the word out of Philadelphia on Wednesday as Simmonds returned to practice in a non-contract capacity and, following the skate, told the Philadelphia Daily News he didn’t think Capitals defenseman John Erskine intentionally tried to hurt him with this elbow:
“I don’t think it was intended to hurt me,” Simmonds explained. “If I thought it was, I would have said something. He’s a big, strong, stay-at-home d-man, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him try to hurt someone.”
Simmonds said the concussion was the first of his career and says he’s been headache free “the entire time.”
As for Erskine, he was suspended three games for the elbow — a decision he disagreed with — and later texted Simmonds an apology.
Simmonds was glad to hear from Erskine, and re-iterated he wasn’t upset.
“[Erskine] knew he had gotten caught, we were going on a 3-on-1 the other way,” he said. “Sometimes, things happen fast in hockey. It’s a fast-paced game.
“You can’t be mad at him for it. It’s not really a big deal to me, it’s a hockey play.”
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)