Feb 6, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Wayne Simmonds harbors no ill will towards the guy that concussed him.
That was the word out of Philadelphia on Wednesday as Simmonds returned to practice in a non-contract capacity and, following the skate, told the Philadelphia Daily News he didn’t think Capitals defenseman John Erskine intentionally tried to hurt him with this elbow:
“I don’t think it was intended to hurt me,” Simmonds explained. “If I thought it was, I would have said something. He’s a big, strong, stay-at-home d-man, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him try to hurt someone.”
Simmonds said the concussion was the first of his career and says he’s been headache free “the entire time.”
As for Erskine, he was suspended three games for the elbow — a decision he disagreed with — and later texted Simmonds an apology.
Simmonds was glad to hear from Erskine, and re-iterated he wasn’t upset.
“[Erskine] knew he had gotten caught, we were going on a 3-on-1 the other way,” he said. “Sometimes, things happen fast in hockey. It’s a fast-paced game.
“You can’t be mad at him for it. It’s not really a big deal to me, it’s a hockey play.”
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)