Feb 6, 2013, 5:14 PM EDT
Wayne Simmonds harbors no ill will towards the guy that concussed him.
That was the word out of Philadelphia on Wednesday as Simmonds returned to practice in a non-contract capacity and, following the skate, told the Philadelphia Daily News he didn’t think Capitals defenseman John Erskine intentionally tried to hurt him with this elbow:
“I don’t think it was intended to hurt me,” Simmonds explained. “If I thought it was, I would have said something. He’s a big, strong, stay-at-home d-man, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him try to hurt someone.”
Simmonds said the concussion was the first of his career and says he’s been headache free “the entire time.”
As for Erskine, he was suspended three games for the elbow — a decision he disagreed with — and later texted Simmonds an apology.
Simmonds was glad to hear from Erskine, and re-iterated he wasn’t upset.
“[Erskine] knew he had gotten caught, we were going on a 3-on-1 the other way,” he said. “Sometimes, things happen fast in hockey. It’s a fast-paced game.
“You can’t be mad at him for it. It’s not really a big deal to me, it’s a hockey play.”
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)