Feb 6, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
Cory Schneider (2-2-0, .897 SV%) will be back in Vancouver’s goal tomorrow in Minnesota for the first time since a 4-1 loss at San Jose on Jan. 27.
Roberto Luongo — the goalie Schneider was supposed to replace this season as the Canucks’ number one — has started the past four games, going 3-0-1 while surrendering just five goals.
All the while, Luongo has continued to be the subject of trade rumors, making his string of consecutive starts the major topic of conversation around the team.
Schneider’s season got off to a rough start when the 26-year-old was pulled in the Canucks’ first game after allowing five goals on 14 shots. He’s had a couple of strong performances since then, including a shutout over the Ducks on Jan. 25. But Luongo, 33, has been the better of the two.
“These are very unique circumstances,” Canucks GM Mike Gillis said Tuesday on Vancouver radio. “(Cory) knows our level of commitment to him. He knows how much we believe in him. And I know when he gets in the nets next, he’s not going to want to give it up. Just like Roberto.
“I don’t think it’s an issue at all inside our dressing room or with our team. We are completely conscious of ice time and how players are utilized and Cory is no different. But we have to win hockey games. We don’t have the luxury of. . . people’s feelings, as opposed to wins. We don’t have that luxury.”
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 0
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 42
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 6
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 22
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 26
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 56
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 20
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)