Feb 6, 2013, 7:16 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers and Ottawa Senators blueliner Erik Karlsson were taken close together in the first round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Both have plenty of promise and have made a name for themselves, but their careers have also taken very different paths. (Ottawa Citizen)
Goals weren’t terribly hard to come by earlier this season, but teams are starting to tighten up their defenses as players shake off some post-lockout rust. (Chicago Tribune)
The Edmonton Oilers are missing centers Eric Belanger and Shawn Horcoff due to injuries, but there are still some interesting candidates on the free agent market. Should the Oilers sign 38-year-old forward Jason Arnott? (Edmonton Journal)
33-year-old forward Mike Rupp talks about how the Minnesota Wild’s acquisition of him from the New York Rangers impacted his family. He has four kids he won’t be seeing for a few months, but he’s looking forward to working his former coach and the Wild’s current bench boss, Mike Yeo. (Star Tribune)
The New Jersey Devils plan to honor goaltending coach Jacques Caron before they face the Montreal Canadiens on March 16. Caron is in the middle of his 20th campaign with New Jersey, making him the franchise’s all-time longest serving coach. (New Jersey Online)
Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman doesn’t see “any glaring weaknesses” with his club. (Chicago Tribune)
Pittsburgh Penguins fans got a scare on Tuesday when Sidney Crosby was he took a puck to the face during their contest against the Islanders. In the end, he returned and logged 16:09 minutes. (Sportsnet)
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
Another memorable moment for the American star.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
The NFL defensive back strategy.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Nice gesture … bad sign?
Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
Nick Foligno called his goal ahead of time.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Neither team has done a good job of playing with the lead.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
He made his series debut in the late stages of Game 3.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)