Feb 6, 2013, 7:16 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Buffalo Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers and Ottawa Senators blueliner Erik Karlsson were taken close together in the first round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. Both have plenty of promise and have made a name for themselves, but their careers have also taken very different paths. (Ottawa Citizen)
Goals weren’t terribly hard to come by earlier this season, but teams are starting to tighten up their defenses as players shake off some post-lockout rust. (Chicago Tribune)
The Edmonton Oilers are missing centers Eric Belanger and Shawn Horcoff due to injuries, but there are still some interesting candidates on the free agent market. Should the Oilers sign 38-year-old forward Jason Arnott? (Edmonton Journal)
33-year-old forward Mike Rupp talks about how the Minnesota Wild’s acquisition of him from the New York Rangers impacted his family. He has four kids he won’t be seeing for a few months, but he’s looking forward to working his former coach and the Wild’s current bench boss, Mike Yeo. (Star Tribune)
The New Jersey Devils plan to honor goaltending coach Jacques Caron before they face the Montreal Canadiens on March 16. Caron is in the middle of his 20th campaign with New Jersey, making him the franchise’s all-time longest serving coach. (New Jersey Online)
Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman doesn’t see “any glaring weaknesses” with his club. (Chicago Tribune)
Pittsburgh Penguins fans got a scare on Tuesday when Sidney Crosby was he took a puck to the face during their contest against the Islanders. In the end, he returned and logged 16:09 minutes. (Sportsnet)
Oct 1, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
He may begin 2014-15 banged up.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
“The next few days will be the turning point,” GM Jim Rutherford said.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
The early word is that he’s OK, though.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
It’s not as foolish as it sounds … maybe.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Worth a try.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
According to fellow Swede and Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
One last chance for a tune-up.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Where he’ll resume coaching duties for KHL Lokomotiv.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Didn’t take advantage of their opportunities.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Sounds like both will start the season at center.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Off to AHL Lake Erie they go.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
“We have not been in contact with the IOC and they have not been in touch with us.”
Oct 1, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Meaning all of Columbus’ No. 1 line — Jenner, Ryan Johansen and Nathan Horton — is now out of action.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
He won’t be ready for the season opener.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Both have one-year, two-way contracts.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
And Zack Stortini has been placed on waivers.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
“You can tell a guy ‘don’t dive’, but even on our team we’ve seen a few of them.”
Oct 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Another veteran d-man, Nolan Yonkman, was also released.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
“But we’ve talked and we’ll continue to talk about it.”
Oct 1, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
A rookie head coach, some significant roster turnover and the annual questions in goal.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)