Feb 6, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
The longest-tenured head coach in the NHL is feeling the heat.
“We need to win games,” Lindy Ruff said Wednesday, the day after his Sabres lost 4-3 in Ottawa.
“We need to win them now.”
He’s right. Buffalo has dropped seven of its last eight games since winning the first two of the season. The Sabres’ 3-6-1 record is better than only one (Washington, 2-7-1) in the Eastern Conference.
Among the struggling Sabres…
Defenseman Tyler Myers is a minus-7 with just one assist, his average ice time having fallen to 20:03 from the 22:29 he logged last season. The 2010 rookie of the year may be in the first year of a seven-year, $38.5 million contract, but his play hasn’t been close to the level that garnered him that deal.
Goalie Ryan Miller has surrendered four goals in each of his last four games.
Former 30-goal scorer Drew Stafford hasn’t scored yet.
As for Ruff, he’s been Buffalo’s coach since 1997; however, if he can’t get his team into the playoffs, it’s hard to picture him back next season.
The Sabres host Montreal Thursday.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)