Kesler won’t make the mistake of returning too early again

Feb 6, 2013, 8:30 PM EST

Ryan Kesler Getty Images

To Canucks coach Alain Vigneault, it looks like Ryan Kesler has already recovered by “leaps and bounds” from offseason wrist and back surgeries.

Kesler, on the other hand, is sounding a more conservative tone.

“I’ve had a couple of good days of practice and I’m just going from there,” Kesler said today in Minnesota, per The Province.

“There are areas out there where I don’t feel comfortable, so there’s no timeline at all. Until I feel that comfort level and feel I can step in and contribute the way I can, I’ll be playing then.”

It’s not the first time the organization’s optimism has been contrasted by Kesler’s caution. In the summer, general manager Mike Gillis claimed the 2011 Selke Trophy winner was “slightly ahead” of schedule in his recovery — a claim that was quickly refuted by Kesler’s agent.

It’s clear the 28-year-old center is concerned about coming back too soon, as he believes he did last season following offseason hip surgery.

“I made the mistake before and I won’t make it again,” he said.

Latest Posts
  1. Red Wings beat NHL-leading Preds to end successful Western road trip

Feb 28, 2015, 6:02 PM EST

Alexei Marchenko, Justin Abdelkader AP

Alexey Marchenko scored his first career goal.

2. Five on waivers as trade deadline looms

Feb 28, 2015, 5:34 PM EST

Rob Zepp Getty Images

That gives some teams extra roster flexibility.

3. Agent: Blackhawks have ‘no intention’ of trading Sharp

Feb 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EST

Patrick Sharp Patrick Sharp

He’s been the subject of trade rumors lately.

4. Goalie Nods: Mason returns for the Flyers

Feb 28, 2015, 3:35 PM EST

Steve Mason AP

News and notes from around the blue paint…

5. Trade: Ducks acquire Fleischmann from the Panthers for Heatley and a pick

Feb 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EST

TomasFleischmann Getty Images

The former Caps’ forward reunited with Bruce Boudreau.

6. Trade: Capitals acquire Gleason from the Canes for Hillen and a pick

Feb 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EST

TimGleason Getty Images

Both are unrestricted free agents after this season.

7. Report: Rangers are shopping Zuccarello

Feb 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EST

Mats Zuccarello Getty Images

He’s an unrestricted free agent after this season.

8. Clarkson set to debut on Jackets’ top line

Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs v New York Islanders Getty Images

Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.

9. Halak sets Islanders single-season record in win over Flames

Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST

Halak Getty Images

Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.

Trade deadline storylines to watch
Top 10 NHL Player Searches