Kesler won’t make the mistake of returning too early again

Feb 6, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT

Ryan Kesler Getty Images

To Canucks coach Alain Vigneault, it looks like Ryan Kesler has already recovered by “leaps and bounds” from offseason wrist and back surgeries.

Kesler, on the other hand, is sounding a more conservative tone.

“I’ve had a couple of good days of practice and I’m just going from there,” Kesler said today in Minnesota, per The Province.

“There are areas out there where I don’t feel comfortable, so there’s no timeline at all. Until I feel that comfort level and feel I can step in and contribute the way I can, I’ll be playing then.”

It’s not the first time the organization’s optimism has been contrasted by Kesler’s caution. In the summer, general manager Mike Gillis claimed the 2011 Selke Trophy winner was “slightly ahead” of schedule in his recovery — a claim that was quickly refuted by Kesler’s agent.

It’s clear the 28-year-old center is concerned about coming back too soon, as he believes he did last season following offseason hip surgery.

“I made the mistake before and I won’t make it again,” he said.

Latest Posts
  1. A healthy Parenteau won’t play Game 3

Apr 19, 2015, 12:51 PM EDT

Detroit Red Wings v Montreal Canadiens Detroit Red Wings v Montreal Canadiens

He missed the second game of the series with an upper body injury.

2. Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders

Apr 19, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT

John Tavares Getty Images

Puck drop is at 12 p.m. ET on NBC.

3. Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3

Apr 19, 2015, 11:06 AM EDT

Craig Anderson Getty Images

Neil replaces Chiasson on Ottawa’s fourth line.

4. ‘We never quit fighting,’ says Pardy with Jets down 2-0 to Ducks

Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT

Winnipeg Jets v Anaheim Ducks - Game Two Getty Images

It will be interesting to see what happens as this series heads to Winnipeg.

5. Video: Kesler catches Myers with illegal hit to the head

Apr 18, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT

Getty Images

Anaheim’s veteran forward received a minor penalty on the play.

6. Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’

Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT

BU's Jack Eichel A Standout At World Junior Training Camp Getty Images

“I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.”

7. Video: Sidney Crosby strikes twice to bust personal playoff scoring slump

Apr 18, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT

Had one goal in 19 playoff games prior to Saturday.

8. Video: Rangers’ Stepan opens scoring with perfect shot top corner

Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT

Getty Images

These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.

9. So…what do the Oilers do now?

Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT

Craig MacTavish. AP

Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.

Sens need to control emotions after Subban slash
Top 10 NHL Player Searches