Kesler won’t make the mistake of returning too early again

Feb 6, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT

Ryan Kesler Getty Images

To Canucks coach Alain Vigneault, it looks like Ryan Kesler has already recovered by “leaps and bounds” from offseason wrist and back surgeries.

Kesler, on the other hand, is sounding a more conservative tone.

“I’ve had a couple of good days of practice and I’m just going from there,” Kesler said today in Minnesota, per The Province.

“There are areas out there where I don’t feel comfortable, so there’s no timeline at all. Until I feel that comfort level and feel I can step in and contribute the way I can, I’ll be playing then.”

It’s not the first time the organization’s optimism has been contrasted by Kesler’s caution. In the summer, general manager Mike Gillis claimed the 2011 Selke Trophy winner was “slightly ahead” of schedule in his recovery — a claim that was quickly refuted by Kesler’s agent.

It’s clear the 28-year-old center is concerned about coming back too soon, as he believes he did last season following offseason hip surgery.

“I made the mistake before and I won’t make it again,” he said.

1. thehighcountrybear - Feb 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Vigneault’s usage of the term ‘leaps and bounds’ seems apropos in this instance…

• bcousy - Feb 7, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I’m bored now. Work on some new material.

• thehighcountrybear - Feb 7, 2013 at 2:58 AM

I expect you’re easily bored…with some big fella huffing and a puffing in you right ear. Is that new enough…?

2. leepetertk - Feb 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM

now if only the attitude was the same about concussions…

3. davebabychreturns - Feb 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Good on Ryan.

It’s pretty obvious that Alain Vigneault is a walking example of why coaches should have no say in medical decisions, what with this, with Kesler’s last injury, with Cody Hodgson and Willie Mitchell’s injuries in the past.

The team isn’t losing ground in the playoff race right now but even if they were, what’s the point of jeopardizing the health of one of your most important players by rushing him back into action to win a couple more early season games?

If Kesler isn’t at his best in the playoffs the Canucks won’t be able to replace him, so they are better off losing 5 or so points in the regular season without him than writing off another playoffs because he’s been hurt again.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches