Feb 6, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
To Canucks coach Alain Vigneault, it looks like Ryan Kesler has already recovered by “leaps and bounds” from offseason wrist and back surgeries.
Kesler, on the other hand, is sounding a more conservative tone.
“I’ve had a couple of good days of practice and I’m just going from there,” Kesler said today in Minnesota, per The Province.
“There are areas out there where I don’t feel comfortable, so there’s no timeline at all. Until I feel that comfort level and feel I can step in and contribute the way I can, I’ll be playing then.”
It’s not the first time the organization’s optimism has been contrasted by Kesler’s caution. In the summer, general manager Mike Gillis claimed the 2011 Selke Trophy winner was “slightly ahead” of schedule in his recovery — a claim that was quickly refuted by Kesler’s agent.
It’s clear the 28-year-old center is concerned about coming back too soon, as he believes he did last season following offseason hip surgery.
“I made the mistake before and I won’t make it again,” he said.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 31
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 40
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (40)