Feb 6, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
In one night, Philadelphia Flyers winger Tom Sestito doubled his NHL career scoring output.
Sestito, 25, scored twice in the Flyers 2-1 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning Tuesday night. Known more for his pugilism, Sestito on both goals employed a dazzling display of finesse, deking to the backhand both times.
“Should have got the hat trick, though,” Sestito told CSN Philadelphia. “I think one more shift.”
The offensive outburst marked the first time since Dec. 23, 2010 that Sestito scored an NHL goal. That occurred while he was a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets and it was against the Vancouver Canucks.
“It’s great to contribute like that and not just by fighting all the time,” Sestito told the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“I’ve got one [move] and hopefully no goalies catch on.”
At the other end, Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov made 21 saves for his fourth win of the season.
“Right now, he’s our best player,” Flyers captain Claude Giroux told the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)