Feb 6, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
In one night, Philadelphia Flyers winger Tom Sestito doubled his NHL career scoring output.
Sestito, 25, scored twice in the Flyers 2-1 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning Tuesday night. Known more for his pugilism, Sestito on both goals employed a dazzling display of finesse, deking to the backhand both times.
“Should have got the hat trick, though,” Sestito told CSN Philadelphia. “I think one more shift.”
The offensive outburst marked the first time since Dec. 23, 2010 that Sestito scored an NHL goal. That occurred while he was a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets and it was against the Vancouver Canucks.
“It’s great to contribute like that and not just by fighting all the time,” Sestito told the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“I’ve got one [move] and hopefully no goalies catch on.”
At the other end, Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov made 21 saves for his fourth win of the season.
“Right now, he’s our best player,” Flyers captain Claude Giroux told the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)