Feb 6, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
In one night, Philadelphia Flyers winger Tom Sestito doubled his NHL career scoring output.
Sestito, 25, scored twice in the Flyers 2-1 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning Tuesday night. Known more for his pugilism, Sestito on both goals employed a dazzling display of finesse, deking to the backhand both times.
“Should have got the hat trick, though,” Sestito told CSN Philadelphia. “I think one more shift.”
The offensive outburst marked the first time since Dec. 23, 2010 that Sestito scored an NHL goal. That occurred while he was a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets and it was against the Vancouver Canucks.
“It’s great to contribute like that and not just by fighting all the time,” Sestito told the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“I’ve got one [move] and hopefully no goalies catch on.”
At the other end, Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov made 21 saves for his fourth win of the season.
“Right now, he’s our best player,” Flyers captain Claude Giroux told the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)