Feb 6, 2013, 6:00 AM EDT
In one night, Philadelphia Flyers winger Tom Sestito doubled his NHL career scoring output.
Sestito, 25, scored twice in the Flyers 2-1 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning Tuesday night. Known more for his pugilism, Sestito on both goals employed a dazzling display of finesse, deking to the backhand both times.
“Should have got the hat trick, though,” Sestito told CSN Philadelphia. “I think one more shift.”
The offensive outburst marked the first time since Dec. 23, 2010 that Sestito scored an NHL goal. That occurred while he was a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets and it was against the Vancouver Canucks.
“It’s great to contribute like that and not just by fighting all the time,” Sestito told the Philadelphia Inquirer.
“I’ve got one [move] and hopefully no goalies catch on.”
At the other end, Flyers goalie Ilya Bryzgalov made 21 saves for his fourth win of the season.
“Right now, he’s our best player,” Flyers captain Claude Giroux told the Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 0
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 41
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)