Despite goal drought, Seguin feels “like I’ve been playing great”

Feb 6, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT

Tyler Seguin Getty Images

Tyler Seguin has just one goal through eight games this season — an empty-netter, no less.

But that doesn’t mean the Bruins sniper feels he’s playing poorly.

“I feel like I’ve been playing great,” Seguin told ESPN Boston. “I feel like I’m playing a great two-way game. Against the Leafs last game, I thought I was playing my best game so far this year.”

Seguin is referring to Saturday’s 1-0 defeat of Toronto, in which he fired a game-high six shots on goal in just over 16 minutes of ice time.

Putting pucks on net hasn’t been a problem for Seguin this year — he has 27 through eight games — but getting them past a goalie has been.

His lone marker on the year came with Cam Ward pulled from the Carolina net in a 5-3 win back on Jan. 28, meaning he now has just four goals in his last 18 regular-season contests, dating back to the end of 2011-12.

Not that he’s especially worried about it.

“Sometimes they’re going in and sometimes they’re not, and that’s just how the game goes,” he said. “Right now, the puck’s not going in, but I’m trying not to think about it too much. I’m just playing the best I can.

“Whether I’m scoring right now or I’m not scoring right now, I still say that I’ve been playing really well.”

For the flip side to this argument, here’s CSNNE.com’s Michael Felger and Gary Tanguay discussing Seguin’s goal-scoring slump:

Related