Feb 6, 2013, 12:32 PM EST
Tyler Seguin has just one goal through eight games this season — an empty-netter, no less.
But that doesn’t mean the Bruins sniper feels he’s playing poorly.
“I feel like I’ve been playing great,” Seguin told ESPN Boston. “I feel like I’m playing a great two-way game. Against the Leafs last game, I thought I was playing my best game so far this year.”
Seguin is referring to Saturday’s 1-0 defeat of Toronto, in which he fired a game-high six shots on goal in just over 16 minutes of ice time.
Putting pucks on net hasn’t been a problem for Seguin this year — he has 27 through eight games — but getting them past a goalie has been.
His lone marker on the year came with Cam Ward pulled from the Carolina net in a 5-3 win back on Jan. 28, meaning he now has just four goals in his last 18 regular-season contests, dating back to the end of 2011-12.
Not that he’s especially worried about it.
“Sometimes they’re going in and sometimes they’re not, and that’s just how the game goes,” he said. “Right now, the puck’s not going in, but I’m trying not to think about it too much. I’m just playing the best I can.
“Whether I’m scoring right now or I’m not scoring right now, I still say that I’ve been playing really well.”
For the flip side to this argument, here’s CSNNE.com’s Michael Felger and Gary Tanguay discussing Seguin’s goal-scoring slump:
Dec 19, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Andrew Alberts will get another shot tonight in Dallas.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:21 PM EST
This after he played less than five minutes against Phoenix last game.
Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
“Things are going well, let’s just let things happen,” said GM Dale Tallon.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
“He’s a young player still, and sometimes you have those seasons.”
Dec 19, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Flyers host Jackets.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
Shakeup time in Detroit.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 11:49 AM EST
He’ll face the Preds tonight.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
Mathew Dumba and Jonathan Drouin will serve as alternates.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
He played less than five minutes against the Coyotes.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
The Vancouver Canucks have put him on unconditional waivers.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
There was some controversy surrounding the goal.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
Nine suspensions totaling 38 games, with more likely on the way.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:55 AM EST
If all goes well, he could be back on Dec. 27, according to Fletcher.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
Pittsburgh’s forward got a penalty.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
New York comes back but can’t get two points.
Dec 18, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
It’s not a concussion.
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 0
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 3
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 18
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 37
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 49
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 15
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)