Despite goal drought, Seguin feels “like I’ve been playing great”

Feb 6, 2013, 12:32 PM EST

Tyler Seguin Getty Images

Tyler Seguin has just one goal through eight games this season — an empty-netter, no less.

But that doesn’t mean the Bruins sniper feels he’s playing poorly.

“I feel like I’ve been playing great,” Seguin told ESPN Boston. “I feel like I’m playing a great two-way game. Against the Leafs last game, I thought I was playing my best game so far this year.”

Seguin is referring to Saturday’s 1-0 defeat of Toronto, in which he fired a game-high six shots on goal in just over 16 minutes of ice time.

Putting pucks on net hasn’t been a problem for Seguin this year — he has 27 through eight games — but getting them past a goalie has been.

His lone marker on the year came with Cam Ward pulled from the Carolina net in a 5-3 win back on Jan. 28, meaning he now has just four goals in his last 18 regular-season contests, dating back to the end of 2011-12.

Not that he’s especially worried about it.

“Sometimes they’re going in and sometimes they’re not, and that’s just how the game goes,” he said. “Right now, the puck’s not going in, but I’m trying not to think about it too much. I’m just playing the best I can.

“Whether I’m scoring right now or I’m not scoring right now, I still say that I’ve been playing really well.”

For the flip side to this argument, here’s CSNNE.com’s Michael Felger and Gary Tanguay discussing Seguin’s goal-scoring slump:

Related

Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Bruins, Habs battle for top spot in Northeast

Bruins’ Paille, Thornton won’t play Wednesday vs. Montreal

Latest Posts
  1. Giordano: Surgery is ‘my only option at this point’

Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST

giordanogetty Getty Images

Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.

2. Yandle ‘can’t find a weak flaw’ in Rangers’ lineup

Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST

Keith Yandle AP

Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”

3. Cole arrives in Detroit, delivers Benn’s apology to Zetterberg

Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST

San Jose Sharks v Dallas Stars Getty Images

Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.

4. Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’

Mar 3, 2015, 1:10 PM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs Players During Practice Getty Images

“Is it his fault we’re losing? No. Did he build this team? No.”

5. Not dealt at deadline, Beleskey still working on extension with Ducks

Mar 3, 2015, 12:28 PM EST

Anaheim Ducks v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

“Matt’s priority is to remain in Anaheim for many years to come. Hopefully we can make that happen.”

6. Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do

Mar 3, 2015, 11:56 AM EST

Ottawa Senators v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Sens are making a run in the East, but it’s still the Bruins’ spot to lose.

7. Stewart to open with Vanek, Koivu in Minnesota

Mar 3, 2015, 10:55 AM EST

Buffalo Sabres v New York Rangers Getty Images

The other new guy, Sean Bergenheim, will play with Nino Niederreiter and Charlie Coyle.

8. Landeskog, McLeod receive max fines for late game altercation

Mar 3, 2015, 10:41 AM EST

Landeskog

The two squads will play again on Sunday.

9. Filling the void: Sabres recall Grigorenko

Mar 3, 2015, 10:35 AM EST

Mikhail Grigorenko Getty Images

Plenty of roster spots to be filled in Buffalo after yesterday’s deadline.

10. Trade deadline leaves Ryder, Havlat in limbo

Mar 3, 2015, 9:57 AM EST

Michael Ryder Getty Images

Is this a sign of what they should expect to face as free agents?

11. NHL on NBCSN: Lightning kick off homestand against Sabres

Mar 3, 2015, 8:56 AM EST

Steven Stamkos Getty Images

Tampa Bay needs to get hot to challenge the Atlantic Division-leading Montreal Canadiens.

12. Video: New-look Blackhawks steamroll Hurricanes

Mar 2, 2015, 11:23 PM EST

Carolina Hurricanes v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

Kimmo Timonen and Antoine Vermette made their debuts.

Reactions from NHL trade deadline