Feb 6, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
Hving missed the last four games and currently on injured reserve, Jaroslav Halak is anxious to get back into action.
And it might happen sooner rather than later.
Halak will reportedly try to return to practice on Friday, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
The Slovak netminder was seen walking around the Blues’ locker room on Tuesday without any noticeable pain, which had to be a welcome sight for teammates and head coach Ken Hitchcock.
Halak, 27, was a big part of St. Louis’ 6-1-0 start to the year — he went 3-0-0 and recorded shutouts against the Red Wings and Predators.
But Halak tweaked his groin during last Friday’s game against Detroit and was forced out of action, eventually landing on IR.
In his place, the Blues turned to ordinarily trusty backup Brian Elliot, who has been anything but.
Elliott has a 3-3 record with a .874 save percentage and 2.95 GAA, and was yanked in Tuesday’s 6-1 loss to Nashville after allowing four goals on 11 shots.
To make matters worse, the hook forced 22-year-old AHL call-up Jake Allen into his NHL debut, and he responded with an equally shaky performance — two goals on eight shots in 31 minutes of action.
Hitchcock said he hasn’t been pleased with his team’s goaltending this year, but also warned that any turnaround won’t just rely on the guy between the pipes, and that any turnaround won’t be quick.
“It’s not going to happen overnight,” Hitchcock said. “We can play better in that position. We can defend better, too.”
May 28, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
May 27, 2015, 11:47 PM EDT
He wasn’t the only Anaheim player that deserved to be blamed tonight.
May 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
Chicago endured Anaheim’s comeback attempt to win this one.
May 27, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
The Ducks might have caught a break there.
May 27, 2015, 10:08 PM EDT
He has seven goals in 15 playoff games.
May 27, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT
Chicago scored three goals within four minutes.
May 27, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Jordan Weal has been a big part of Manchester’s success.
May 27, 2015, 8:09 PM EDT
Chicago’s mixing things up for this must-win game.
May 27, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT
She’s previously been warned that this course could lead to her being found in contempt.
May 27, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Anaheim has a chance to advance to the Stanley Cup Final tonight.
May 27, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
After just one year in Pittsburgh.
May 27, 2015, 4:43 PM EDT
The ladies sure loved that guy.
May 27, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
One of the many decisions facing new GM Don Sweeney.
May 27, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT
Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final goes Friday at MSG.
May 27, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
The two men worked together for a season in New Jersey.
May 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
Tomas Fleischmann likely on his way out.
May 27, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
“We’re going to be embedded in this community.”
May 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
“I get the fact there were three goals that went in that were ugly. That’s the growth of a young player.”
May 27, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Either way, Kimmo Timonen is likely out.
May 27, 2015, 12:39 PM EDT
Rangers forward has had issues with it thus far.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)