Feb 5, 2013, 8:56 AM EDT
The details didn’t leave the room, but the message isn’t hard to guess at. The Wild need to do better on the road and, for that matter, they need someone other than the big three of forwards Zach Parise, Mikko Koivu, and Dany Heatley to step up.
Having Mikael Granlund and Devin Setoguchi practice on the fourth line didn’t help. The duo has now combined for just one goal through nine contests, but singling them out might be unfair. Beyond the big three, the Wild have netted a total of eight goals in 2013.
Parise scored his sixth goal of the season and 200th of his career, but it wasn’t enough and the Wild are now 0-3-1 on the road this season. If that doesn’t seem troubling given the small sample size, keep in mind that if you extend it back to the 2011-12 campaign, then Minnesota has earned a mere two regulation time wins in its past 31 road contest.
“We have some very positive pieces here, but we need to get some results,” 36-year-old forward Matt Cullen said. “And that was not good enough. A game that we could have won. We have a better [game] here and we’ve got to find it.”
The Wild will return to Minnesota for a pair of home games before they play in Calgary on Feb. 11.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)