Feb 5, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
Sin City is out for this year’s NHL Awards.
That’s the word on Tuesday from ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who reports the league’s 2013 hardware (trophies, not tools) party won’t be held in Las Vegas — but notes the hiatus is only temporary.
More, from ESPN:
Sources suggest to ESPN.com that the annual awards gala will not be held in Sin City, as has been the case the last few years. The NHL owes two more years on its current contract with the folks in Vegas and will honor those starting again next season.
But for this year, because of the lockout-shortened season meaning there’s a lack of available dates in June — the Stanley Cup finals should go well into the month — the awards are going to have to have a different look.
In 2009, the NHL struck a deal with the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority on a three-year agreement to host the awards. The 2009 show marked the first time the league had awarded its trophies in Las Vegas (at the Pearl Concert Theater inside the Palms Hotel.) LeBrun notes the NHL owes two more years on its current contract, and will begin to honor those next season.
LeBrun also adds no plans have been finalized to replace the Nevada excursion for 2013, but that ideas for a “made-for-TV event in July” or “a preseason gala in September” have been kicked around.
May 24, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Rare criticism for the Blackhawks’ captain.
May 24, 2013, 10:36 AM EDT
SKA Saint Petersburg would be the club.
May 24, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
“(He’s) a hell of a hockey player.”
May 24, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT
He’s excited about the Avalanche’s future, but he also has other considerations.
May 24, 2013, 8:06 AM EDT
The match will start at 7:30 p.m. ET.
May 24, 2013, 7:16 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
May 24, 2013, 3:04 AM EDT
Typically, this is called.
May 24, 2013, 2:46 AM EDT
On the brink of elimination.
May 24, 2013, 2:28 AM EDT
Remember when he took the blame for first two losses against St. Louis?
May 24, 2013, 2:01 AM EDT
Second goal in 27 games.
May 24, 2013, 1:24 AM EDT
Home team has won every game in this series.
May 24, 2013, 12:28 AM EDT
“Something’s got to give,” Jonathan Toews said.
May 24, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
Officially sidelined since Feb. 14 due to what GM Mike Gillis cited as safety concerns.
May 23, 2013, 11:44 PM EDT
Something you don’t see every game.
May 23, 2013, 11:23 PM EDT
‘We’ve had streaks before,” he said.
May 23, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Three straight penalties, still zero goals in the playoffs.
May 23, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Detroit wins again.
May 23, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks’ frustrations continue.
May 23, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
May 23, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
The Game 4 win clearly made him chipper.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 8
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 6
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 49
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 78
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 48
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional