Feb 5, 2013, 8:17 PM EST
Sin City is out for this year’s NHL Awards.
That’s the word on Tuesday from ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who reports the league’s 2013 hardware (trophies, not tools) party won’t be held in Las Vegas — but notes the hiatus is only temporary.
More, from ESPN:
Sources suggest to ESPN.com that the annual awards gala will not be held in Sin City, as has been the case the last few years. The NHL owes two more years on its current contract with the folks in Vegas and will honor those starting again next season.
But for this year, because of the lockout-shortened season meaning there’s a lack of available dates in June — the Stanley Cup finals should go well into the month — the awards are going to have to have a different look.
In 2009, the NHL struck a deal with the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority on a three-year agreement to host the awards. The 2009 show marked the first time the league had awarded its trophies in Las Vegas (at the Pearl Concert Theater inside the Palms Hotel.) LeBrun notes the NHL owes two more years on its current contract, and will begin to honor those next season.
LeBrun also adds no plans have been finalized to replace the Nevada excursion for 2013, but that ideas for a “made-for-TV event in July” or “a preseason gala in September” have been kicked around.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
The early update is optimistic.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:10 PM EST
“Is it his fault we’re losing? No. Did he build this team? No.”
Mar 3, 2015, 12:28 PM EST
“Matt’s priority is to remain in Anaheim for many years to come. Hopefully we can make that happen.”
Mar 3, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Sens are making a run in the East, but it’s still the Bruins’ spot to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:06 AM EST
“Players would have to come to me.”
- Video: Luongo (eventually) leaves game after taking puck to neck 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 45
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)