Feb 5, 2013, 8:17 PM EDT
Sin City is out for this year’s NHL Awards.
That’s the word on Tuesday from ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, who reports the league’s 2013 hardware (trophies, not tools) party won’t be held in Las Vegas — but notes the hiatus is only temporary.
More, from ESPN:
Sources suggest to ESPN.com that the annual awards gala will not be held in Sin City, as has been the case the last few years. The NHL owes two more years on its current contract with the folks in Vegas and will honor those starting again next season.
But for this year, because of the lockout-shortened season meaning there’s a lack of available dates in June — the Stanley Cup finals should go well into the month — the awards are going to have to have a different look.
In 2009, the NHL struck a deal with the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority on a three-year agreement to host the awards. The 2009 show marked the first time the league had awarded its trophies in Las Vegas (at the Pearl Concert Theater inside the Palms Hotel.) LeBrun notes the NHL owes two more years on its current contract, and will begin to honor those next season.
LeBrun also adds no plans have been finalized to replace the Nevada excursion for 2013, but that ideas for a “made-for-TV event in July” or “a preseason gala in September” have been kicked around.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Sounds like both will start the season at center.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Off to AHL Lake Erie they go.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
“We have not been in contact with the IOC and they have not been in touch with us.”
Oct 1, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Meaning all of Columbus’ No. 1 line — Jenner, Ryan Johansen and Nathan Horton — is now out of action.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
He won’t be ready for the season opener.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Both have one-year, two-way contracts.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
And Zack Stortini has been placed on waivers.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
“You can tell a guy ‘don’t dive’, but even on our team we’ve seen a few of them.”
Oct 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Another veteran d-man, Nolan Yonkman, was also released.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
“But we’ve talked and we’ll continue to talk about it.”
Oct 1, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
A rookie head coach, some significant roster turnover and the annual questions in goal.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT
The second overall pick in the 2014 draft has gone pointless in three preseason games.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Oct 1, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Pending RFA forward’s deal is up at the end of the season.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Alex Goligoski is the team’s No. 1 d-man. And that’s a concern.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It was clicking on full cylinders there.”
Oct 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
One of them was rusty.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
He was a restricted free agent, but was still taking part in training camp.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
No, this post doesn’t just include the word “everything.”
Oct 1, 2014, 7:55 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)