Feb 5, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
JT Miller’s impressive 2013 campaign continues to get better.
In January, he won gold with Team USA at the World Juniors. Last week, he played in his first-ever AHL All-Star Game.
And on Tuesday, he’ll play in his first-ever NHL game as his Rangers travel to New Jersey to take on the Devils in a classic rivalry matchup.
“I’m just excited right now, anxious, just ready to play obviously,” Miller told NHL.com. “I’ve been looking forward to it since I was a little kid.
“I just want to go out there and try to get into the game as soon as possible. I think that will help me the most.”
New York’s first-round pick at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Miller was the first American player off the board and has since gone on to represent the U.S. at the last two World Junior tournaments.
In the most recent one, Miller scored nine points in nine games and led the team in assists, with seven.
Rangers head coach John Tortorella has been impressed with how much Miller has matured in a relatively short period of time. The 19-year-old is still in the midst of his first professional season.
“I think his game has really grown,” Tortorella said. “He had a really good [World Junior] tournament there. He has become more consistent in Hartford.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)