Ovechkin takes comfort in scoring chances

Feb 5, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT

Alex Ovechkin Getty Images

Despite scoring just twice his Washington’s first nine games, Alex Ovechkin is feeling good heading into tonight’s home game versus the Leafs.

“If I don’t have the chances, I say, ‘Okay, what’s wrong with me? What’s stopping me?’” Ovechkin said today, per the Washington Post. “But last two games, last three games, I have chances. I have opportunities, especially against Pittsburgh. I feel like I have really good chances to score. Sometimes I have to be more concentrate on the puck … A couple times the rebound right there and my stick was high.”

Ovechkin has 34 shots, tied for 10th most among NHL forwards. But the shots aren’t going in at the same rate they usually do. Last season, his shooting percentage was 12.5; this season, it’s 5.9.

In that way, it has to be exasperating for Ovechkin. But hey, at least he’s not Phil Kessel — Toronto’s snake-bitten sniper has zero goals on 40 shots.

“I know it’s frustrating for both those guys, I’m sure,” Caps coach Adam Oates said today, per the Washington Times. “But are you getting chances? If you’re not getting chances then you got to look in the mirror and like, ‘What’s going on?’ Figure it out. If you’re getting opportunities then I think you’re doing a lot of good things.”

Related: Neuvirth to start versus Leafs as Holtby’s frustration grows

Latest Posts
  1. Stars’ Dillon (foot) out for Game 1

Apr 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT

Dallas Stars v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

A little less grit against the Anaheim Ducks.

2. Ducks feel ‘very comfortable’ with rookie Andersen in net, says Boudreau

Apr 16, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT

Anze Kopitar, Frederik Andersen AP

“He gives us the best chance to win, so he’ll be the one starting.”

3. Staal, Ward say they want to stay in Carolina

Apr 16, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

WardStaal Getty Images

But both acknowledge they’ve heard the rumblings.

4. Sabre rattling: Buffalo overhauls Nolan’s coaching staff

Apr 16, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT

tednolan2ap AP

Sacco, Forton, Numminen and Corsi are out.

5. Pressing question: Could this be the year of the upset?

Apr 16, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT

Gustav Nyquist, Tuukka Rask AP

Top seeds don’t have it easy in the first round.

6. Belov bolts Edmonton, signs in KHL

Apr 16, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT

Anton Belov Getty Images

Spent one season with the Oilers, now off to SKA St. Petersburg.

7. After 12-game absence, Prust back for Habs

Apr 16, 2014, 12:53 PM EDT

Brandon Prust Getty Images

He’ll dress for the series opener against Tampa Bay tonight.

8. Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers

Apr 16, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers goalie Ray Emery deflects the puck over his head during the first period of an NHL hockey game against the Calgary Flames, Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Tom Mihalek) AP

Steve Mason is “out.”

9. Get your game notes: Jackets at Penguins

Apr 16, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT

Penguins Blue Jackets Hockey AP

Pittsburgh won all five meetings between the teams during the regular season.

10. Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup

Apr 16, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT

Sidney Crosby, Zdeno Chara AP

Prove us wrong, all 16 teams. Prove…us…wrong.

11. Lightning’s Filppula, Palat expected to return for Game 1

Apr 16, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Ondrej Palat, Valtteri Filppula Ondrej Palat, Valtteri Filppula

Tampa Bay’s top-six would have been in trouble without them.

12. Fleury’s true comeback bid starts tonight

Apr 16, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT

Marc-Andre Fleury Marc-Andre Fleury

His solid regular season will be overshadowed by whatever he does in the playoffs.

13. 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks

Apr 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT

StanleyCupPlayoffs14

Add yours in the comments section.

Are Penguins vulnerable vs. Columbus?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches