Feb 5, 2013, 7:57 AM EDT
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers host the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Wells Fargo Center at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Going into the season, the Philadelphia Flyers’ and Tampa Bay Lightning’s biggest question mark was their goaltending and defense. In the case of Philadelphia, that hasn’t been the major issue so far while the jury is still out on Tampa Bay Lightning netminder Anders Lindback.
And yet, it’s the Lightning that lead their division while the Flyers sit near the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings.
The Tampa Bay Lightning have overwhelmed opponents this season between the two-time Rocket Richard Trophy winner Steven Stamkos, well established elite forwards Martin St. Louis and Vincent Lecavalier, and 23-year-old rookie sensation Cory Conacher. When it comes to their core of forwards this season, everyone on the Lightning has been either meeting or surpassing expectations.
Philadelphia saw that first hand in its 5-1 loss to the Lightning on Jan. 27.
They weren’t able to match them blow-for-blow and a general lack of offense has been an ongoing problem for the Flyers this season. After recording 93 points last season, Claude Giroux has just six points in nine games and that still makes him one of the Flyers’ top contributors. On the Lightning that’d put him in a tie for sixth place with former Flyers defenseman Matt Carle.
The Flyers managed to stop the bleeding on Saturday when they beat the Carolina Hurricanes, but they are still in a 3-6-0 hole. That represents just under 19% of the shortened season gone without much to show for it. They need to get on a winning streak, but the Lightning will not be an easy adversary.
Probable goaltenders: PHI – Ilya Bryzgalov (3-5-0, 2.40 GAA, .920 SV%) | TBL – Anders Lindback (2-1-0, 2.41 GAA, .919 SV%)
Top scorers: PHI – Matt Read (3-4-7, 9 GP) | TBL – Steven Stamkos (7-9-16, 8 GP)
Philadelphia – Forwards: Wayne Simmonds (concussion), Scott Hartnell (foot) Defensemen: Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), Andrej Meszaros (shoulder), Chris Pronger (concussion)
Tampa Bay – Defensemen: Brendan Mikkelson (upper body), Mattias Ohlund (knee)
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)