Feb 5, 2013, 7:57 AM EDT
NBCSN’s ongoing coverage of the 2013 campaign will continue tonight when the Philadelphia Flyers host the Tampa Bay Lightning at the Wells Fargo Center at 7:30 p.m. ET.
Going into the season, the Philadelphia Flyers’ and Tampa Bay Lightning’s biggest question mark was their goaltending and defense. In the case of Philadelphia, that hasn’t been the major issue so far while the jury is still out on Tampa Bay Lightning netminder Anders Lindback.
And yet, it’s the Lightning that lead their division while the Flyers sit near the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings.
The Tampa Bay Lightning have overwhelmed opponents this season between the two-time Rocket Richard Trophy winner Steven Stamkos, well established elite forwards Martin St. Louis and Vincent Lecavalier, and 23-year-old rookie sensation Cory Conacher. When it comes to their core of forwards this season, everyone on the Lightning has been either meeting or surpassing expectations.
Philadelphia saw that first hand in its 5-1 loss to the Lightning on Jan. 27.
They weren’t able to match them blow-for-blow and a general lack of offense has been an ongoing problem for the Flyers this season. After recording 93 points last season, Claude Giroux has just six points in nine games and that still makes him one of the Flyers’ top contributors. On the Lightning that’d put him in a tie for sixth place with former Flyers defenseman Matt Carle.
The Flyers managed to stop the bleeding on Saturday when they beat the Carolina Hurricanes, but they are still in a 3-6-0 hole. That represents just under 19% of the shortened season gone without much to show for it. They need to get on a winning streak, but the Lightning will not be an easy adversary.
Probable goaltenders: PHI – Ilya Bryzgalov (3-5-0, 2.40 GAA, .920 SV%) | TBL – Anders Lindback (2-1-0, 2.41 GAA, .919 SV%)
Top scorers: PHI – Matt Read (3-4-7, 9 GP) | TBL – Steven Stamkos (7-9-16, 8 GP)
Philadelphia – Forwards: Wayne Simmonds (concussion), Scott Hartnell (foot) Defensemen: Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion), Andrej Meszaros (shoulder), Chris Pronger (concussion)
Tampa Bay – Defensemen: Brendan Mikkelson (upper body), Mattias Ohlund (knee)
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)