Feb 5, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
The $3.5 million defenseman didn’t have an answer for why he hasn’t cracked the team’s top six defenseman lately, according to the Washington Times.
“I don’t know. I don’t know,” Hamrlik said. “I don’t know what to tell you.”
Head coach Adam Oates said “he’s a big boy; he’ll get a chance,” but didn’t imply that the 39-year-old blueliner needs to wow him in practice to get back into the mix.
“He doesn’t need to do anything [in practice],” Oates said. “Guys have been playing good hockey, so I don’t think it’s fair to take them out right now.”
Then again, one might point to Washington’s 33 goals allowed in nine games, which is tied with the Buffalo Sabres for the NHL’s worst mark as of this moment.
Hamrlik has played three games so far this season, registering an assist and a -1 rating. He’s also the guy who made quite the rumbling about ending the lockout, yet it’s doubtful that would make a big difference in Oates’ lineup choices.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)