Feb 5, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
The $3.5 million defenseman didn’t have an answer for why he hasn’t cracked the team’s top six defenseman lately, according to the Washington Times.
“I don’t know. I don’t know,” Hamrlik said. “I don’t know what to tell you.”
Head coach Adam Oates said “he’s a big boy; he’ll get a chance,” but didn’t imply that the 39-year-old blueliner needs to wow him in practice to get back into the mix.
“He doesn’t need to do anything [in practice],” Oates said. “Guys have been playing good hockey, so I don’t think it’s fair to take them out right now.”
Then again, one might point to Washington’s 33 goals allowed in nine games, which is tied with the Buffalo Sabres for the NHL’s worst mark as of this moment.
Hamrlik has played three games so far this season, registering an assist and a -1 rating. He’s also the guy who made quite the rumbling about ending the lockout, yet it’s doubtful that would make a big difference in Oates’ lineup choices.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 1
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)