Feb 5, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
When the topic of “who’s the best Flyer?” comes up, answers usually revolve around one name — Claude Giroux.
Yet it’s Giroux himself who thinks someone else is currently deserving of that title:
“Right now, he’s our best player,” Giroux told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Tuesday.
While Bryzgalov’s record leaves something to be desired — he’s just 3-5 thus far — his other numbers are solid.
He’s boasting a 2.40 GAA and .920 save percentage, the latter being most impressive given he’s faced the fifth-most shots in the NHL this season (238).
Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette praised Bryzgalov’s consistency this season and alternate captain Daniel Briere says if the Russian netminder can keep it up, the Flyers’ struggles won’t last much longer.
“If he keeps playing this way,” Briere said, “we’ll be a very dangerous team.”
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63