Feb 5, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
When the topic of “who’s the best Flyer?” comes up, answers usually revolve around one name — Claude Giroux.
Yet it’s Giroux himself who thinks someone else is currently deserving of that title:
“Right now, he’s our best player,” Giroux told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Tuesday.
While Bryzgalov’s record leaves something to be desired — he’s just 3-5 thus far — his other numbers are solid.
He’s boasting a 2.40 GAA and .920 save percentage, the latter being most impressive given he’s faced the fifth-most shots in the NHL this season (238).
Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette praised Bryzgalov’s consistency this season and alternate captain Daniel Briere says if the Russian netminder can keep it up, the Flyers’ struggles won’t last much longer.
“If he keeps playing this way,” Briere said, “we’ll be a very dangerous team.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)