Feb 5, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk is suing a man for selling clothing — including hockey jerseys — using his likeness and nickname (“Pasha”) without permission.
According to Datsyuk’s lawyer, the situation arose in the summer of 2012 but, after months of trying to “amicably resolve” the situation, his client had no choice but to proceed with legal action.
“If you can believe it, we have given efforts to that degree to amicably resolve it since that time,” attorney Mahesh Nayak told the Detroit Free Press. “And have been obviously unsuccessful in getting there.”
A hearing is scheduled on Wednesday for Datsyuk’s lawsuit against Pasha LLC, Pasha Sportwear and Terrance Sullivan.
Here’s more, from the Detroit News:
“Pavel Datsyuk is more focused right now on playing hockey this season and bringing the Stanley Cup back to Detroit,” Nayak said Monday. “But this is serious and we have to put a stop to it. This is confusing to his fans and damaging to him personally.”
The lawsuit seeks damages for alleged violations of Datsyuk’s right of publicity; the Michigan Consumer Protection Act; and Unfair Competition.
According to the lawsuit, Sullivan has been marketing and manufacturing Datsyuk-related products since at least early 2012, including red-and white shirts with his name, his nickname “Pasha” and “13,” the number he has worn for the Wings since 2001.
Among products offered on an “unauthorized Datsyuk Facebook page” on the Internet is a T-shirt that reads “moves like Datsyuk” — a takeoff on the popular song “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5.
According to reports, Sullivan has been ordered to turn over all business-related records regarding sales of Datsyuk-related materials.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)