Feb 5, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk is suing a man for selling clothing — including hockey jerseys — using his likeness and nickname (“Pasha”) without permission.
According to Datsyuk’s lawyer, the situation arose in the summer of 2012 but, after months of trying to “amicably resolve” the situation, his client had no choice but to proceed with legal action.
“If you can believe it, we have given efforts to that degree to amicably resolve it since that time,” attorney Mahesh Nayak told the Detroit Free Press. “And have been obviously unsuccessful in getting there.”
A hearing is scheduled on Wednesday for Datsyuk’s lawsuit against Pasha LLC, Pasha Sportwear and Terrance Sullivan.
Here’s more, from the Detroit News:
“Pavel Datsyuk is more focused right now on playing hockey this season and bringing the Stanley Cup back to Detroit,” Nayak said Monday. “But this is serious and we have to put a stop to it. This is confusing to his fans and damaging to him personally.”
The lawsuit seeks damages for alleged violations of Datsyuk’s right of publicity; the Michigan Consumer Protection Act; and Unfair Competition.
According to the lawsuit, Sullivan has been marketing and manufacturing Datsyuk-related products since at least early 2012, including red-and white shirts with his name, his nickname “Pasha” and “13,” the number he has worn for the Wings since 2001.
Among products offered on an “unauthorized Datsyuk Facebook page” on the Internet is a T-shirt that reads “moves like Datsyuk” — a takeoff on the popular song “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5.
According to reports, Sullivan has been ordered to turn over all business-related records regarding sales of Datsyuk-related materials.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)