Feb 5, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk is suing a man for selling clothing — including hockey jerseys — using his likeness and nickname (“Pasha”) without permission.
According to Datsyuk’s lawyer, the situation arose in the summer of 2012 but, after months of trying to “amicably resolve” the situation, his client had no choice but to proceed with legal action.
“If you can believe it, we have given efforts to that degree to amicably resolve it since that time,” attorney Mahesh Nayak told the Detroit Free Press. “And have been obviously unsuccessful in getting there.”
A hearing is scheduled on Wednesday for Datsyuk’s lawsuit against Pasha LLC, Pasha Sportwear and Terrance Sullivan.
Here’s more, from the Detroit News:
“Pavel Datsyuk is more focused right now on playing hockey this season and bringing the Stanley Cup back to Detroit,” Nayak said Monday. “But this is serious and we have to put a stop to it. This is confusing to his fans and damaging to him personally.”
The lawsuit seeks damages for alleged violations of Datsyuk’s right of publicity; the Michigan Consumer Protection Act; and Unfair Competition.
According to the lawsuit, Sullivan has been marketing and manufacturing Datsyuk-related products since at least early 2012, including red-and white shirts with his name, his nickname “Pasha” and “13,” the number he has worn for the Wings since 2001.
Among products offered on an “unauthorized Datsyuk Facebook page” on the Internet is a T-shirt that reads “moves like Datsyuk” — a takeoff on the popular song “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5.
According to reports, Sullivan has been ordered to turn over all business-related records regarding sales of Datsyuk-related materials.
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 12
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)