Feb 5, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk is suing a man for selling clothing — including hockey jerseys — using his likeness and nickname (“Pasha”) without permission.
According to Datsyuk’s lawyer, the situation arose in the summer of 2012 but, after months of trying to “amicably resolve” the situation, his client had no choice but to proceed with legal action.
“If you can believe it, we have given efforts to that degree to amicably resolve it since that time,” attorney Mahesh Nayak told the Detroit Free Press. “And have been obviously unsuccessful in getting there.”
A hearing is scheduled on Wednesday for Datsyuk’s lawsuit against Pasha LLC, Pasha Sportwear and Terrance Sullivan.
Here’s more, from the Detroit News:
“Pavel Datsyuk is more focused right now on playing hockey this season and bringing the Stanley Cup back to Detroit,” Nayak said Monday. “But this is serious and we have to put a stop to it. This is confusing to his fans and damaging to him personally.”
The lawsuit seeks damages for alleged violations of Datsyuk’s right of publicity; the Michigan Consumer Protection Act; and Unfair Competition.
According to the lawsuit, Sullivan has been marketing and manufacturing Datsyuk-related products since at least early 2012, including red-and white shirts with his name, his nickname “Pasha” and “13,” the number he has worn for the Wings since 2001.
Among products offered on an “unauthorized Datsyuk Facebook page” on the Internet is a T-shirt that reads “moves like Datsyuk” — a takeoff on the popular song “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5.
According to reports, Sullivan has been ordered to turn over all business-related records regarding sales of Datsyuk-related materials.
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 6
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63