Feb 5, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals are now 10 games into the season and they continue to fall behind the pack in the Eastern Conference standings.
They suffered another setback Tuesday night, losing 3-2 to the visiting Toronto Maple Leafs. The loss drops Washington’s record to 2-7-1. They are last in the East.
“I wouldn’t sacrifice the way the team is playing for a couple wins. I wouldn’t, not the wrong way,” Capitals head coach Adam Oates told Stephen Whyno of the Washington Times Monday.
“Because I think big picture you want to win tonight but you’ve got to try and think big picture and that’s what direction we’re going as a team and I think we’re going in the right direction.”
Alex Ovechkin, who has just two goals in those 10 games – although perhaps his recent increase in scoring chances is encouraging – had one assist in the loss.
Leafs forward James van Riemsdyk scored twice in a span of two minutes and 35 seconds to give Toronto a 2-0 lead in the first period.
“We’ve been talking about a couple of those things, getting in on the forecheck, making it hard on their defenseman and getting to the net,” van Riemsdyk told NHL.com. “I got some lucky bounces and I was able to put them in.”
Korbinian Holzer scored his first career NHL goal and the winner just past the midway point of the second period.
The Leafs are now 4-1 away from the Air Canada Centre.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (45)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)