Feb 4, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
Going into the season, the hope was that 20-year-old rookie Mikael Granlund and Devin Setoguchi would be among the team’s top complimentary forwards, but through eight games that hasn’t been the case.
Granlund hasn’t scored since the season opener and has just three points in eight games while Setoguchi is still searching for his first goal of the season.
As a result, Wild coach Mike Yeo decided to move them both to the fourth line for Sunday’s practice and it’s even possible that one of them will end up being scratched against Phoenix on Monday, based on a Star Tribune report.
In Granlund’s case, it’s hard to put too much pressure on the rookie, even if he has tons of upside, but Yeo argues that there needs to be a bit more give and take.
“He’s a young kid and we have to give him a fair chance, but at the same time, there has to be a little more on his side,” Yeo said.
“We’ll do everything we can to help him grow through the whole process of it. I’d definitely like to see him bring a real hungry attitude to the next game.”
As for Setoguchi, he admitted to being disappointed and plans to work his way back into the lineup if he ends up getting scratched. His early struggles have been made even more troubling by the fact that he’s only managed 10 shots on goal. That’s far below his career average.
Minnesota has a 4-3-1 record, which puts them in a four-way tie for sixth place in this early stage of the season.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)