Feb 4, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
After scoring 10 points in four games and rocketing atop the league’s scoring leaderboard, Thomas Vanek was named the NHL’s first star of the week on Monday.
The 29-year-old Austrian was en fuego over the last seven days. He notched an assists in a 4-3 OT loss to Toronto, then followed that up with a three-goal, two-assists performance in a statement win over the Bruins.
That was followed by a one-goal effort in Montreal on Saturday and a three-point effort in Florida on Sunday.
Vanek now leads the NHL in scoring — 19 points, three clear of second-place Steve Stamkos — and, of note, has two of the three five-point games in the league thus far (the other was recorded by Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg.)
Second star went to Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz, thanks in large part to a pair of game-winning goals and the first four-goal game of his career in Sunday’s 6-3 win over Washington.
Kunitz now leads the Pens in goals (six) and is coming off a career-high 26 goals in 2011-12.
Luongo went 2-0-1 while posting 0.95 GAA and .963 save percentage, helping the Canucks move to 4-2-2 on the season and atop the Northwest Division. Luongo’s hot streak also included a 24-save shutout over Colorado, the 61st shutout of his career, moving him to within one of Turk Broda for 15th all-time.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 0
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 0
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 3
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 24
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 74
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 22
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronkowski 'probably' needs back surgery, too
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness