Feb 4, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
After scoring 10 points in four games and rocketing atop the league’s scoring leaderboard, Thomas Vanek was named the NHL’s first star of the week on Monday.
The 29-year-old Austrian was en fuego over the last seven days. He notched an assists in a 4-3 OT loss to Toronto, then followed that up with a three-goal, two-assists performance in a statement win over the Bruins.
That was followed by a one-goal effort in Montreal on Saturday and a three-point effort in Florida on Sunday.
Vanek now leads the NHL in scoring — 19 points, three clear of second-place Steve Stamkos — and, of note, has two of the three five-point games in the league thus far (the other was recorded by Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg.)
Second star went to Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz, thanks in large part to a pair of game-winning goals and the first four-goal game of his career in Sunday’s 6-3 win over Washington.
Kunitz now leads the Pens in goals (six) and is coming off a career-high 26 goals in 2011-12.
Luongo went 2-0-1 while posting 0.95 GAA and .963 save percentage, helping the Canucks move to 4-2-2 on the season and atop the Northwest Division. Luongo’s hot streak also included a 24-save shutout over Colorado, the 61st shutout of his career, moving him to within one of Turk Broda for 15th all-time.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 32
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 9
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)