Feb 4, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
After scoring 10 points in four games and rocketing atop the league’s scoring leaderboard, Thomas Vanek was named the NHL’s first star of the week on Monday.
The 29-year-old Austrian was en fuego over the last seven days. He notched an assists in a 4-3 OT loss to Toronto, then followed that up with a three-goal, two-assists performance in a statement win over the Bruins.
That was followed by a one-goal effort in Montreal on Saturday and a three-point effort in Florida on Sunday.
Vanek now leads the NHL in scoring — 19 points, three clear of second-place Steve Stamkos — and, of note, has two of the three five-point games in the league thus far (the other was recorded by Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg.)
Second star went to Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz, thanks in large part to a pair of game-winning goals and the first four-goal game of his career in Sunday’s 6-3 win over Washington.
Kunitz now leads the Pens in goals (six) and is coming off a career-high 26 goals in 2011-12.
Luongo went 2-0-1 while posting 0.95 GAA and .963 save percentage, helping the Canucks move to 4-2-2 on the season and atop the Northwest Division. Luongo’s hot streak also included a 24-save shutout over Colorado, the 61st shutout of his career, moving him to within one of Turk Broda for 15th all-time.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)