Feb 4, 2013, 1:29 PM EDT
Edmonton’s highest-paid defenseman will be a healthy scratch tonight versus Vancouver.
Whitney (0G, 3A, -5) logged just over 15 minutes Saturday in a 3-1 loss to Colorado, a far cry from the 20:58 he averaged last season.
Clearly, new head coach Ralph Krueger hasn’t been a fan of the 29-year-old’s work this season.
It’s worth noting that Whitney is in the final year of a six-year, $24 million contract. Might the Oilers try to move him before he walks away for free? And if they do, would there be any takers?
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)