Feb 4, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
If some “powerful” NBA agents have their way, Donald Fehr’s run as executive director of the NHLPA will be a brief (though eventful) one.
One unnamed NBA agent said Fehr, 64, is exactly the kind of guy basketball players need representing them.
“He is somebody who would be formidable,” said the agent. “He would go tooth-and-nail on everything.”
It’s possible there could be another NBA labor battle in 2017 when each side has the ability to opt out of the current 10-year deal.
While Fehr has privately expressed no desire to leave his post [with the NHLPA], the person with knowledge of his plans said Fehr would be open to advising the NBA players during their leadership transition if, in fact, players decide to part ways permanently with Hunter.
Even if Fehr doesn’t end up taking his talents to the NBPA, it’s worth wondering about his future in hockey. The NHL’s new CBA will be in place for at least eight years. Does he have any intention of remaining in his current position that long?
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 40
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 17
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 13
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)