Feb 4, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
If some “powerful” NBA agents have their way, Donald Fehr’s run as executive director of the NHLPA will be a brief (though eventful) one.
One unnamed NBA agent said Fehr, 64, is exactly the kind of guy basketball players need representing them.
“He is somebody who would be formidable,” said the agent. “He would go tooth-and-nail on everything.”
It’s possible there could be another NBA labor battle in 2017 when each side has the ability to opt out of the current 10-year deal.
While Fehr has privately expressed no desire to leave his post [with the NHLPA], the person with knowledge of his plans said Fehr would be open to advising the NBA players during their leadership transition if, in fact, players decide to part ways permanently with Hunter.
Even if Fehr doesn’t end up taking his talents to the NBPA, it’s worth wondering about his future in hockey. The NHL’s new CBA will be in place for at least eight years. Does he have any intention of remaining in his current position that long?
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)