Feb 4, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
If some “powerful” NBA agents have their way, Donald Fehr’s run as executive director of the NHLPA will be a brief (though eventful) one.
One unnamed NBA agent said Fehr, 64, is exactly the kind of guy basketball players need representing them.
“He is somebody who would be formidable,” said the agent. “He would go tooth-and-nail on everything.”
It’s possible there could be another NBA labor battle in 2017 when each side has the ability to opt out of the current 10-year deal.
While Fehr has privately expressed no desire to leave his post [with the NHLPA], the person with knowledge of his plans said Fehr would be open to advising the NBA players during their leadership transition if, in fact, players decide to part ways permanently with Hunter.
Even if Fehr doesn’t end up taking his talents to the NBPA, it’s worth wondering about his future in hockey. The NHL’s new CBA will be in place for at least eight years. Does he have any intention of remaining in his current position that long?
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 15
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 11
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 25
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 20
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 18
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 71
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 101
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (102)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement