Feb 4, 2013, 5:27 PM EST
If some “powerful” NBA agents have their way, Donald Fehr’s run as executive director of the NHLPA will be a brief (though eventful) one.
One unnamed NBA agent said Fehr, 64, is exactly the kind of guy basketball players need representing them.
“He is somebody who would be formidable,” said the agent. “He would go tooth-and-nail on everything.”
It’s possible there could be another NBA labor battle in 2017 when each side has the ability to opt out of the current 10-year deal.
While Fehr has privately expressed no desire to leave his post [with the NHLPA], the person with knowledge of his plans said Fehr would be open to advising the NBA players during their leadership transition if, in fact, players decide to part ways permanently with Hunter.
Even if Fehr doesn’t end up taking his talents to the NBPA, it’s worth wondering about his future in hockey. The NHL’s new CBA will be in place for at least eight years. Does he have any intention of remaining in his current position that long?
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)