Feb 4, 2013, 5:27 PM EST
If some “powerful” NBA agents have their way, Donald Fehr’s run as executive director of the NHLPA will be a brief (though eventful) one.
One unnamed NBA agent said Fehr, 64, is exactly the kind of guy basketball players need representing them.
“He is somebody who would be formidable,” said the agent. “He would go tooth-and-nail on everything.”
It’s possible there could be another NBA labor battle in 2017 when each side has the ability to opt out of the current 10-year deal.
While Fehr has privately expressed no desire to leave his post [with the NHLPA], the person with knowledge of his plans said Fehr would be open to advising the NBA players during their leadership transition if, in fact, players decide to part ways permanently with Hunter.
Even if Fehr doesn’t end up taking his talents to the NBPA, it’s worth wondering about his future in hockey. The NHL’s new CBA will be in place for at least eight years. Does he have any intention of remaining in his current position that long?
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)