Feb 4, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
The Florida Panthers are starting to round into solid health in early February. Now they can add a big, first-round defenseman into the mix.
After requiring shoulder surgery and an injury suspension from the team thanks to a wakeboarding accident, Erik Gudbranson is set to return to NHL action.
He’s been called up by the team, yet head coach Kevin Dineen told the Miami Herald that he’s unsure if he’ll make his 2013 Tuesday’s game against the Winnipeg Jets.
“He’s accomplishing everything we want,” Dineen said. “I haven’t made the final decision on if he plays or not. He’s been out for seven months. We’re finally getting guys back, getting into the groove of playing. He’s still working his way through it.”
The 21-year-old defenseman went through his rookie season in 2011-12, playing in 72 regular season and all seven postseason games. Florida might just need him with Ed Jovanovski (knee) and Mike Weaver (hip) a bit banged up.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)