Feb 4, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers are currently ranked last in the Atlantic Division and the team is known for making big moves. That formula leads many onlookers to believe that GM Paul Holmgren is itching to make a bold trade.
The Flyers can’t afford to mortgage their future, but they could part with a prospect they just sent back to junior in Scott Laughton.
That would likely get you Iginla.
Panaccio explains that, salary cap-wise, that hypothetical situation would require a drastic move like packaging Chris Pronger‘s deal in the trade.
While that report indicates Iginla could be swapped, the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch believes that the Calgary Flames icon is off the table. Instead, the Flyers might have to settle for Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle:
The only impact blueliner available is Keith Yandle of the Phoenix Coyotes, who wouldn’t mind shedding his $5.25 million salary. Because Yandle comes with a big price tag, Holmgren’s hands could be tied their as well.
In case you’re wondering, it doesn’t sound like Roberto Luongo is currently in play for the Flyers, but you never know what will happen with a franchise that clearly loves to make splashy moves.
Which moves seem realistic and which ones would help the Flyers dig themselves out of this early hole?
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 11
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 29
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 27
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 46
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)