Feb 4, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are currently ranked last in the Atlantic Division and the team is known for making big moves. That formula leads many onlookers to believe that GM Paul Holmgren is itching to make a bold trade.
The Flyers can’t afford to mortgage their future, but they could part with a prospect they just sent back to junior in Scott Laughton.
That would likely get you Iginla.
Panaccio explains that, salary cap-wise, that hypothetical situation would require a drastic move like packaging Chris Pronger‘s deal in the trade.
While that report indicates Iginla could be swapped, the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch believes that the Calgary Flames icon is off the table. Instead, the Flyers might have to settle for Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle:
The only impact blueliner available is Keith Yandle of the Phoenix Coyotes, who wouldn’t mind shedding his $5.25 million salary. Because Yandle comes with a big price tag, Holmgren’s hands could be tied their as well.
In case you’re wondering, it doesn’t sound like Roberto Luongo is currently in play for the Flyers, but you never know what will happen with a franchise that clearly loves to make splashy moves.
Which moves seem realistic and which ones would help the Flyers dig themselves out of this early hole?
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 0
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 15
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)