Feb 4, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are currently ranked last in the Atlantic Division and the team is known for making big moves. That formula leads many onlookers to believe that GM Paul Holmgren is itching to make a bold trade.
The Flyers can’t afford to mortgage their future, but they could part with a prospect they just sent back to junior in Scott Laughton.
That would likely get you Iginla.
Panaccio explains that, salary cap-wise, that hypothetical situation would require a drastic move like packaging Chris Pronger‘s deal in the trade.
While that report indicates Iginla could be swapped, the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch believes that the Calgary Flames icon is off the table. Instead, the Flyers might have to settle for Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle:
The only impact blueliner available is Keith Yandle of the Phoenix Coyotes, who wouldn’t mind shedding his $5.25 million salary. Because Yandle comes with a big price tag, Holmgren’s hands could be tied their as well.
In case you’re wondering, it doesn’t sound like Roberto Luongo is currently in play for the Flyers, but you never know what will happen with a franchise that clearly loves to make splashy moves.
Which moves seem realistic and which ones would help the Flyers dig themselves out of this early hole?
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)