Feb 4, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers are currently ranked last in the Atlantic Division and the team is known for making big moves. That formula leads many onlookers to believe that GM Paul Holmgren is itching to make a bold trade.
The Flyers can’t afford to mortgage their future, but they could part with a prospect they just sent back to junior in Scott Laughton.
That would likely get you Iginla.
Panaccio explains that, salary cap-wise, that hypothetical situation would require a drastic move like packaging Chris Pronger‘s deal in the trade.
While that report indicates Iginla could be swapped, the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch believes that the Calgary Flames icon is off the table. Instead, the Flyers might have to settle for Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle:
The only impact blueliner available is Keith Yandle of the Phoenix Coyotes, who wouldn’t mind shedding his $5.25 million salary. Because Yandle comes with a big price tag, Holmgren’s hands could be tied their as well.
In case you’re wondering, it doesn’t sound like Roberto Luongo is currently in play for the Flyers, but you never know what will happen with a franchise that clearly loves to make splashy moves.
Which moves seem realistic and which ones would help the Flyers dig themselves out of this early hole?
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 16
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)