Feb 4, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are currently ranked last in the Atlantic Division and the team is known for making big moves. That formula leads many onlookers to believe that GM Paul Holmgren is itching to make a bold trade.
The Flyers can’t afford to mortgage their future, but they could part with a prospect they just sent back to junior in Scott Laughton.
That would likely get you Iginla.
Panaccio explains that, salary cap-wise, that hypothetical situation would require a drastic move like packaging Chris Pronger‘s deal in the trade.
While that report indicates Iginla could be swapped, the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch believes that the Calgary Flames icon is off the table. Instead, the Flyers might have to settle for Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle:
The only impact blueliner available is Keith Yandle of the Phoenix Coyotes, who wouldn’t mind shedding his $5.25 million salary. Because Yandle comes with a big price tag, Holmgren’s hands could be tied their as well.
In case you’re wondering, it doesn’t sound like Roberto Luongo is currently in play for the Flyers, but you never know what will happen with a franchise that clearly loves to make splashy moves.
Which moves seem realistic and which ones would help the Flyers dig themselves out of this early hole?
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 22
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17