Feb 4, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
10. Brandon Dubinsky (Columbus). Rangers fans may recall it took Dubinsky 15 games to score his first goal last season. A change of scenery doesn’t appear to have helped the 26-year-old rediscover the form that saw him score 24 times in 2010-11.
8. Henrik Sedin (Vancouver). Granted, he’s typically been the set-up man for brother Daniel. But Henrik also has just five assists in the Canucks’ first eight games, and only two of those helpers came even strength.
7. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Edmonton). Like Henrik Sedin, he’s more of a play-maker than sniper; however, he still managed 18 goals as an 18-year-old rookie. Meanwhile, another Oilers center, Sam Gagner, is off to a great start (3G, 6A).
5. Mike Richards (Los Angeles). The Kings have really been struggling to put the puck in the net. Sort of like they did last season. And then they won the Stanley Cup.
4. Drew Stafford (Buffalo). Remember when he scored 31 goals? Yeah, that was only two seasons ago.
3. Jordan Staal (Carolina). Many thought the four-time 20-goal-scorer would flourish once he got out from the under the shadows of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. To be fair, Staal does have six assists, and he has important defensive responsibilities.
2. Jarome Iginla (Calgary). The captain has scored at least 32 goals in 11 straight seasons. If he’s not scoring, it’s hard for the Flames to win. And they’re not. (Honorable Calgary mention: Mike Cammalleri, also with no goals.)
1. Phil Kessel (Toronto). It’s gotten to the point of ridiculous in Toronto. Kessel has the third most shots in the NHL (36), and not one of them has gone in. There’s even a “Kessel countdown clock” now, right down to the millisecond.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 39
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)