Feb 4, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
The Ducks announced that Folwer won’t be in the lineup Monday when they host the Sharks at the Honda Center.
The 20-year-old defenseman was shaken up following this hit from Stoll on Saturday night, which went unpenalized and didn’t warrant supplemental discipline from the league:
Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau said he was unsure what the future held for Fowler, but remained optimistic that the injury wasn’t serious.
“I don’t anticipate Cam being out for very long.”
In Fowler’s place, Anaheim will dress rookie blueliner Sami Vatanen, who made his NHL debut last Friday.
Vatanen, 21, was a fourth-round pick in 2009, an undersized but skillful defenseman that was a solid scorer (23 points in 34 games) with AHL Norfolk this season.
In other lineup news, it appears San Jose will start backup goalie Thomas Greiss — and Boudreau has hinted that his backup, Viktor Fasth, could also be getting the start.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 8
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 55
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 17
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8