Feb 4, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
The NHL discipline czar suspended Erskine three games for what was deemed a “reckless elbow” — one that knocked Simmonds from Friday’s game and gave the Flyers forward a concussion.
“I don’t think it was a reckless play or a reckless elbow,” Erskine told the Washington Times. “I wasn’t flying down the ice a hundred miles an hour with my elbow up in the air.
“That’s what [Shanahan] called it, and I gotta live with it.”
Here’s Shanahan’s video explanation of the hit (and suspension):
Shanahan did make note in the video that Erskine doesn’t have a history of dangerous plays and wasn’t a repeat offender, something Erskine thought should’ve played more of a role in the decision.
“I’m going on my 11th year and I haven’t been suspended,” he said. “I’ve been fined once, I think. I thought that would come into a factor more, but Shanahan did what he had to do and I gotta accept it.”
Erskine also added he wasn’t happy with the three-game suspension, and that he texted an apology to Simmonds over the weekend.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)