Feb 4, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
The NHL discipline czar suspended Erskine three games for what was deemed a “reckless elbow” — one that knocked Simmonds from Friday’s game and gave the Flyers forward a concussion.
“I don’t think it was a reckless play or a reckless elbow,” Erskine told the Washington Times. “I wasn’t flying down the ice a hundred miles an hour with my elbow up in the air.
“That’s what [Shanahan] called it, and I gotta live with it.”
Here’s Shanahan’s video explanation of the hit (and suspension):
Shanahan did make note in the video that Erskine doesn’t have a history of dangerous plays and wasn’t a repeat offender, something Erskine thought should’ve played more of a role in the decision.
“I’m going on my 11th year and I haven’t been suspended,” he said. “I’ve been fined once, I think. I thought that would come into a factor more, but Shanahan did what he had to do and I gotta accept it.”
Erskine also added he wasn’t happy with the three-game suspension, and that he texted an apology to Simmonds over the weekend.
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 97
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 12
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (99)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)