Feb 4, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
The NHL discipline czar suspended Erskine three games for what was deemed a “reckless elbow” — one that knocked Simmonds from Friday’s game and gave the Flyers forward a concussion.
“I don’t think it was a reckless play or a reckless elbow,” Erskine told the Washington Times. “I wasn’t flying down the ice a hundred miles an hour with my elbow up in the air.
“That’s what [Shanahan] called it, and I gotta live with it.”
Here’s Shanahan’s video explanation of the hit (and suspension):
Shanahan did make note in the video that Erskine doesn’t have a history of dangerous plays and wasn’t a repeat offender, something Erskine thought should’ve played more of a role in the decision.
“I’m going on my 11th year and I haven’t been suspended,” he said. “I’ve been fined once, I think. I thought that would come into a factor more, but Shanahan did what he had to do and I gotta accept it.”
Erskine also added he wasn’t happy with the three-game suspension, and that he texted an apology to Simmonds over the weekend.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 7
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)