Feb 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Smith, 23, suffered the injury Saturday against Columbus in a collision with the Blue Jackets’ Derek MacKenzie.
“It didn’t really hurt right away but then I skated to the blue line and the shoulder felt a little weird,” Smith said. “I don’t even know how it happened. He’s the one that actually fell. I couldn’t believe it, one of those things that happen.”
Smith’s injury is just the latest a Red Wings defenseman has suffered so far this season. Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder) and Ian White (leg laceration) are still on the shelf, though White has been targeting Tuesday’s game against Calgary for a return.
“It’s unbelievable how the injury bug seems to be hitting the D-side,” Smith said.
As if adjusting to life without Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart wasn’t going to be hard enough.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)