Feb 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Smith, 23, suffered the injury Saturday against Columbus in a collision with the Blue Jackets’ Derek MacKenzie.
“It didn’t really hurt right away but then I skated to the blue line and the shoulder felt a little weird,” Smith said. “I don’t even know how it happened. He’s the one that actually fell. I couldn’t believe it, one of those things that happen.”
Smith’s injury is just the latest a Red Wings defenseman has suffered so far this season. Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder) and Ian White (leg laceration) are still on the shelf, though White has been targeting Tuesday’s game against Calgary for a return.
“It’s unbelievable how the injury bug seems to be hitting the D-side,” Smith said.
As if adjusting to life without Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart wasn’t going to be hard enough.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)