Feb 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Smith, 23, suffered the injury Saturday against Columbus in a collision with the Blue Jackets’ Derek MacKenzie.
“It didn’t really hurt right away but then I skated to the blue line and the shoulder felt a little weird,” Smith said. “I don’t even know how it happened. He’s the one that actually fell. I couldn’t believe it, one of those things that happen.”
Smith’s injury is just the latest a Red Wings defenseman has suffered so far this season. Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder) and Ian White (leg laceration) are still on the shelf, though White has been targeting Tuesday’s game against Calgary for a return.
“It’s unbelievable how the injury bug seems to be hitting the D-side,” Smith said.
As if adjusting to life without Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart wasn’t going to be hard enough.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)