Feb 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Smith, 23, suffered the injury Saturday against Columbus in a collision with the Blue Jackets’ Derek MacKenzie.
“It didn’t really hurt right away but then I skated to the blue line and the shoulder felt a little weird,” Smith said. “I don’t even know how it happened. He’s the one that actually fell. I couldn’t believe it, one of those things that happen.”
Smith’s injury is just the latest a Red Wings defenseman has suffered so far this season. Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder) and Ian White (leg laceration) are still on the shelf, though White has been targeting Tuesday’s game against Calgary for a return.
“It’s unbelievable how the injury bug seems to be hitting the D-side,” Smith said.
As if adjusting to life without Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart wasn’t going to be hard enough.
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 0
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 37
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)