Feb 4, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Smith, 23, suffered the injury Saturday against Columbus in a collision with the Blue Jackets’ Derek MacKenzie.
“It didn’t really hurt right away but then I skated to the blue line and the shoulder felt a little weird,” Smith said. “I don’t even know how it happened. He’s the one that actually fell. I couldn’t believe it, one of those things that happen.”
Smith’s injury is just the latest a Red Wings defenseman has suffered so far this season. Carlo Colaiacovo (shoulder) and Ian White (leg laceration) are still on the shelf, though White has been targeting Tuesday’s game against Calgary for a return.
“It’s unbelievable how the injury bug seems to be hitting the D-side,” Smith said.
As if adjusting to life without Nicklas Lidstrom and Brad Stuart wasn’t going to be hard enough.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5