Feb 4, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
With just 38 career appearances heading into this season, Anders Lindback was a promising yet somewhat unknown commodity, especially as a potential starting netminder.
That’s why Lightning head coach Guy Boucher is riding the 24-year-old hard to start the season — and plans to keep riding him throughout the shortened campaign.
“We have a youngster we’re trying to groom and give him ice time,” Boucher told the St. Petersburg Times. “There are a few games I could have thrown Mathieu [Garon] out there, but the plan is to give [Lindback] as many games as we can so he can catch up on the games he’s missed the last two years.”
Lindback’s never played more than 22 games in a season, though he did have a stretch during the 2010-11 campaign where he started nine straight games while Pekka Rinne was out with a knee injury.
This year, he was in goal for six of Tampa’s first seven games — Garon made just his second appearance in Saturday’s 3-2 loss to the Rangers — but the expectations in Tampa are different from those in Nashville.
Now, Lindback’s expected to be the starter.
His numbers haven’t been great this season, posting a 2.83 GAA and .911 save percentage. But he’s done well in the most important statistical category — wins (five) — and is showing progress en route to becoming a No. 1 netminder.
“The players know he’s a young goaltender that’s learning,” Boucher said. “But he’s learning real fast.”
Sep 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
“God, defense was just so much fun though.”
Sep 21, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The team’s still trying to determine if surgery is necessary.
Sep 21, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)