Feb 4, 2013, 1:24 PM EST
No surprise that, after leading all first-year players in scoring for January, St. Louis winger Vladimir Tarasenko has been named the NHL’s rookie of the month.
Tarasenko, 21, had points in six of seven games (5G-4A-9PTS total) and became the first Blues rookie in nearly 35 years to record five points in his first two NHL games (Wayne Babych did it in 1978-79.)
Selected 16th overall at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, Tarasenko is a big reason why the Blues are off to an impressive 6-2-0 start. He’s leading the team in scoring through eight games, with 10 points, and also leads all skaters in plus-minus (plus-6) and even-strength goals (four).
That said, he faced some stiff competition for January’s rookie award.
Tampa Bay’s Cory Conacher also posted nine points (3G-6A) while Oilers defenseman Justin Schultz led all rookie defensemen in scoring — 2G-3A — while averaging 22:34 per game, tops among all first-year players.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)