Feb 3, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
January was a bumpy month for the Dallas Stars, but they hope February will be more stable. They also expect to see a lot more Kari Lehtonen in net.
The team provided some promising updates to the Dallas Morning News on Sunday, including word that center Derek Roy should return from a groin injury tomorrow against the Colorado Avalanche.
The 29-year-old pivot hasn’t been in the lineup since a Jan. 24 loss against the Chicago Blackhawks, which was the night Jamie Benn‘s signing was announced. Roy seems excited to see how Dallas’ planned one-two punch at center will finally look.
“He’s a really good player and he moves well for a big man. He’s got great hands, and I’m anxious to get out there and see what we can do,” Roy said of Benn. “We have to be strong in the center position. We need to be able to control the puck, get the puck to the net, and just control the game.”
They might be tough to score on in February, though, as the team plans on playing Lehtonen,29, repeatedly this month.
“You look at the way February unfolds after tonight, and I see Kari Lehtonen playing almost every game,” Head coach Glen Gulutzan said. “He claimed himself today — and I could hear it in his voice and see it in his eyes — that he is not feeling well. It’s that time of year and [we] want to make sure he is ready because February is going to be a Kari Lehtonen month.”
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 36
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 8
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)