Feb 3, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
Before the Capitals take on the Penguins (12:30 p.m. ET on NBC) Alex Ovechkin met with the media to discuss where the team is at, where he’s at, and having to face off with one of their biggest rivals for the first time.
The Caps captain fessed up that his slow start (two goals and one assist) has him feeling a bit down in the dumps.
“I’m standing here, I have only three points. It kind of embarrasses me, but it is what it is.”
What it is for the Caps is a lousy start to the season. They’re 2-5-1 with just five points in the standings. It’s still early, but if Ovechkin and the Capitals are going to go anywhere this season he’s got to get going.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)