Feb 3, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
LA Kings forward Jarret Stoll won’t face any supplemental discipline for his hit on Cam Fowler during Saturday night’s 7-4 loss to the Ducks.
The hit was arguably the most controversial moment of Anaheim’s wild win — early in the second period, Stoll nailed the Ducks defenseman into the boards, and the result was not good:
The hit itself was somewhat overshadowed by the Bryan Allen-Jordan Nolan fight, but the aftermath wasn’t — Fowler left the game with an upper-body injury and didn’t return, much to the consternation of the Ducks.
“If you saw the replay, Stoll hit him pretty good from behind,” Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau told the OC Register. “And I can understand why the refs didn’t call it. One was getting taken out. There’s another fight going on.
“But surely, you know, I saw the numbers when Stoll hit him. It was right from behind.”
Stoll defended his actions, saying he was actually trying to guide Fowler into the boards.
“I was just trying to carry him in and not go full bore at him,” Stoll explained (via Mayors’ Manor.) “So, I tried my best to do that, so we’ll see what happens.
“I didn’t want to push him in, so that’s why I grabbed the jersey a little bit.”
The Ducks haven’t given an update as to Fowler’s health. The entire team had a full day off Sunday, and team officials didn’t expect to update his status until Monday.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.
Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST
“It’s like a little miracle down here.”
Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.
Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST
Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?
Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST
His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.
Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST
Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.
Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST
League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”
Dec 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.
Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Minnesota’s lost four straight, and six of its last eight.
Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST
Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.
Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST
A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.
Dec 24, 2014, 8:33 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Dec 24, 2014, 1:20 AM EST
Winnipeg has won three of four.
Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Made 26 saves for the shutout.
Dec 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Tampa rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy picked up his second career win.
Dec 23, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Bernier made 43 saves for the shutout
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)