Feb 3, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals maintained their tradition of Super Bowl Sunday skirmishes today, with Pittsburgh taking this one 6-3. Let’s get to the talking points from the Pens’ road win:
- Keith Jones and Mike Milbury tried to diagnose what’s wrong with Alex Ovechkin, at least compared to his old form. Do you think they’re correct in deeming him too predictable or is there a different issue plaguing him? Is there actually nothing wrong but bad luck?
- Some believe that Braden Holtby should have been pulled in the second period. Did Adam Oates make the right choice in leaving him in? Which goalie should hold the Caps’ top job going forward: Holtby or Michal Neuvirth?
- Mike Green had a goal on Sunday. Can he regain his prolific, pre-injury form or is this just a blip on the radar?
- Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis was at the game. Who do you think he was looking at the most? OK, we’ll bait you: how would Roberto Luongo fit in with the Capitals and what combination of players would make sense to land him?
- Mike Ribeiro had two points (one goal, one assist) on Sunday, pushing his total to 10 points in nine games. He’s quietly been a boon for the struggling team.
- Chris Kunitz collected a hat trick today. Was he the best player on the ice, as the numbers would suggest?
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)