Feb 3, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
When former Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke was fired before the start of the season, one thing many did was go over his legacy in Toronto. Part of that is scrutinizing any and all the deals he made during his tenure and the one to bring Phil Kessel to the Leafs from Boston stands out for a few big reasons, namely Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton.
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli says it’s not fair to judge him based on that deal alone. Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun has that story.
“When you are in this job, we all have made deals that we’d like to have back. We’ve all made deals that we’d like to have a do-over on.
“I’m not saying Brian feels that way about the (Kessel) trade. I don’t know that. I mean, they got a 35-goal scorer out of the deal.”
“Obviously, you can’t gauge a deal until all the pieces are in place and we see how everyone does long-term,” Chiarelli explained.
Since we’re all about snap judgments, it sure seems like the Bruins won that deal. That’s not to say Burke didn’t make other moves to the benefit of the Leafs, he did. Getting Jake Gardiner, Joffrey Lupul, Mikhail Grabovski, and James van Riemsdyk in separate deals all showed how good he was at making trades.
Like Chiarelli said though, sometimes there’s one you want to have back.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
With a special shout-out to Austria’s 1927 European championship team.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:39 PM EST
“Frankly, in my mind we’re playing him too much.”
Dec 4, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
He was a late scratch for Tuesday’s loss to Columbus.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Calgary hosts Phoenix at the Saddledome.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:44 PM EST
Pirri’s slumped lately after a hot start to the year.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
We came up with three big ones.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
“We felt we have players ahead of him, simple as that,” said head coach Randy Carlyle.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
List also includes a number of first-round draft picks.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:28 AM EST
Injuries to Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk opened the door.
Dec 4, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
Mike Babcock says pushing back the deadline is “really beneficial for us.”
Dec 4, 2013, 10:52 AM EST
No Zetterberg or Datsyuk for the Wings equals an opportunity for the Flyers.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
He’ll back up Curtis McElhinney for the time being.
Dec 4, 2013, 10:13 AM EST
He’ll be 39-years-old when it expires.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:52 AM EST
The actual number may have been even worse.
Dec 4, 2013, 9:33 AM EST
These two teams met in the 1997 Stanley Cup Final.
Dec 4, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
That and all the links ahead to start the day.
Dec 4, 2013, 1:02 AM EST
He’s ahead of schedule, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Dec 4, 2013, 12:46 AM EST
Phoenix embattled them 6-2 on Tuesday.
Dec 3, 2013, 11:49 PM EST
He believes his problems are concussion-related.
Dec 3, 2013, 11:33 PM EST
That happened during Vancouver’s 3-1 win against Nashville.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 1
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 3
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 30
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 44
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Harding’s diving save highlights Wild’s win 5
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (44)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)